The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 01:44 PM

batsonbrands is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First build

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some comments by Gary Loomis, one of the early Graphite rod builders.

"Loomis began by explaining that the identifiers IM6, IM7 and IM8 are the trade numbers used by the Hexcel Corp. to identify their product and is not an industry quality or material standard, although the Hercules Fibers produced by the Hexcel Corp. are the benchmark that most companies use to compare their materials. The confusion is compounded because a number of rod manufacturers use materials produced by companies other than Hexcel and yet identify their rods as being IM6, IM7 and IM8, which by itself means nothing."

Paul
Yes and No.. Each manufacturer rates their rods different. Some people use the IM system, we use the RX system. You can look at how we make our rods here: RainShadow Rod Blanks
Btw, everyone makes their rod blanks different. They use different materials, different patterns etc..
imxer likes this.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:36 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice to get your juices flowing. Picking out components is one of the biggest jobs, at least when 99% of the decisions are made. I also highly recommend Snake Brand Universal guides, they are absolutely worth the extra 10-15$ over any of the cheapo brands. The only other guide I consider at REC Recoils, I used them once and had an equally positive experience wrapping them, little to no prep on those guys either.

Reel seats run the gambit of style, color, etc, its ultimately and aesthetic choice.

Thread color can be easy or a chore and when you are starting from nothing, you should probably pick a simple two color design, a main color that matches the blank and a complimentary color. It helps to buy a few options in the colors you are considering since you probably have to order it and won't know the true color until you receive it.

Then it's practice time!
Old 08-12-2014, 05:54 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsonbrands View Post
Yes and No.. Each manufacturer rates their rods different. Some people use the IM system, we use the RX system. You can look at how we make our rods here: RainShadow Rod Blanks
Btw, everyone makes their rod blanks different. They use different materials, different patterns etc..
-----------------------------------
The question was about the IM system.However, never too old to learn something
new, even if I am stuck in the IMX era,
Doesn't surprise me, Loomis wrote that some years ago.
Thanks for trying to pull me into the 21st Century!
Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 08-13-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Good advice to get your juices flowing. Picking out components is one of the biggest jobs, at least when 99% of the decisions are made. I also highly recommend Snake Brand Universal guides, they are absolutely worth the extra 10-15$ over any of the cheapo brands. The only other guide I consider at REC Recoils, I used them once and had an equally positive experience wrapping them, little to no prep on those guys either.

Reel seats run the gambit of style, color, etc, its ultimately and aesthetic choice.

Thread color can be easy or a chore and when you are starting from nothing, you should probably pick a simple two color design, a main color that matches the blank and a complimentary color. It helps to buy a few options in the colors you are considering since you probably have to order it and won't know the true color until you receive it.

Then it's practice time!
I second the Snake Brand Guides.. They are the best that is out there. Definitely spendy though! As in terms of "all other cheapo brands." ALPS doesn't make "cheapo" guides. Infact you will see ALPS guides on a lot of high end rods!

I also agree with the reel seats, some have dual locking nuts, but mainly its the materials and the aesthetics.

What brands of reel seats have you been looking at?

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
-----------------------------------
The question was about the IM system.However, never too old to learn something
new, even if I am stuck in the IMX era,
Doesn't surprise me, Loomis wrote that some years ago.
Thanks for trying to pull me into the 21st Century!
Paul
Whats even harder to figure out in the system of ratings is how 2 different manufactures use the IM"X" system and they are both different. So who is right??

We got away from the IM"X" system and developed our own, the same wit most manufacturers. Now this is just a reference point. Put 5 manufacturers of rod blanks and not one is going to have the same reference point. lol
Old 08-13-2014, 10:29 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Pay no attention to the IM name ratings. What you should instead consider is the modulus number of the rod (which will be in the millions). Lower modulus blanks (maybe around 43 mil) will have a slower action than high modulus rods (maybe 70 mil).

Most types suppliers list lower modulus rods as IM6 or low IM numbers, so that's what they are trying to get at a lot of the time, but just look for the modulus number instead.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:59 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsonbrands View Post
As in terms of "all other cheapo brands." ALPS doesn't make "cheapo" guides. Infact you will see ALPS guides on a lot of high end rods!
Sorry Batson, I did not say "all other" guides were cheapo and did not mean to offend anyone. What I said was that the extra $10-15 that it costs to buy a set of Snake Brand guides over any of the "cheapo" brands is well worth it. I was referring to the 0.35 cent guides I've seen.

When I go looking for components, particularly reel seats, I always look at Batson and Alps products.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:32 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

This rod, a PacBay Rainforest, has a Fugi spinning rod reelseat.
Some might view that as tacky, but IMO most saltwater reelseats are unnecessarily big and heavy while this one is very light weight.
And that makes a good bit of difference in all day use
With the 35cent guides, the homemade fighting butt, the $5 reelseat, and the "close-out" blank, this rod cost less than $60 to build.
And as you can see, it works just fine.
In fact, it's probably my favorite.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Sorry Batson, I did not say "all other" guides were cheapo and did not mean to offend anyone. What I said was that the extra $10-15 that it costs to buy a set of Snake Brand guides over any of the "cheapo" brands is well worth it. I was referring to the 0.35 cent guides I've seen.

When I go looking for components, particularly reel seats, I always look at Batson and Alps products.
Oh no offense taken at all! We think those snake brand guides are the best. One thing to note though, I don't think its $10-15 though. Typically the snake brand guides go for $3-$4ea or so and ALPS go for about $1ea. I might be mistaken but I think it maybe $30-40. Just depends on how much you want to spend on your rod of course

Spending $.35ea for guides is very inexpensive. Might just want to spend a bit more if you plan on keeping your rod for any length of time.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:54 AM

Talking Re: First build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
This rod, a PacBay Rainforest, has a Fugi spinning rod reelseat.
Some might view that as tacky, but IMO most saltwater reelseats are unnecessarily big and heavy while this one is very light weight.
And that makes a good bit of difference in all day use
With the 35cent guides, the homemade fighting butt, the $5 reelseat, and the "close-out" blank, this rod cost less than $60 to build.
And as you can see, it works just fine.
In fact, it's probably my favorite.

Click the image to open in full size.
Yeah, but can it land big fish?