The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just finished my 0wt build

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
You'd be real surprised at how hard it is to find a cap and slide reel seat under 40 that doesn't look ugly as hell.
+1 I figure buy what you want, it is a custom rod and reel seats can be a very beautiful part of a build. Love the build and look forward to seeing some pictures of it in action. Where did you get the thread?
Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
You'd be real surprised at how hard it is to find a cap and slide reel seat under 40 that doesn't look ugly as hell.
No I wouldn't. Last few builds I did were using Joel Lemke seats and hardware.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:45 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
No I wouldn't. Last few builds I did were using Joel Lemke seats and hardware.
I looked at the lemke stuff. Nice but expensive, and mostly all metal.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
+1 I figure buy what you want, it is a custom rod and reel seats can be a very beautiful part of a build. Love the build and look forward to seeing some pictures of it in action. Where did you get the thread?
I tried it out yesterday, was sooooo much fun on bluegills and small bass. I got the thread from Hook & Hackle. I think it was called FishHawk variegated thread. The color alternates on its own, so for someone like me who isn't great at doing that manually while winding thread, it's really nice.
williamhj likes this.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nick: Congrats on that beautiful fly rod, I love the look of the variegated thread wraps.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:16 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Glad you didn't go with an "ugly as hell" seat. It would have deterred from the beauty of the build

Lemke.... mostly metal? We frequenting the same site? With the LC1 up or down locking, LC17, 25, 26 or Titanium hardware you are looking at a ton of options for inserts. Not to mention his sliding band hardware. No $$$$ interest in Joel's seats. I do use them on all my customer builds, unless I am turning my own sliding band hardware.
mojo likes this.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Glad you didn't go with an "ugly as hell" seat. It would have deterred from the beauty of the build

Lemke.... mostly metal? We frequenting the same site? With the LC1 up or down locking, LC17, 25, 26 or Titanium hardware you are looking at a ton of options for inserts. Not to mention his sliding band hardware. No $$$$ interest in Joel's seats. I do use them on all my customer builds, unless I am turning my own sliding band hardware.
Hmmm, maybe I'm thinking of another site. I'll have to check them out again next time.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:59 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'll add that I love the seats I get from Dave Winslow. He offers three styles available and turns the inserts himself. Very easy to work with, nice site that is great to navigate with prices listed. Also at a good price point - $25-$35.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:08 AM

swcr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hmmm, maybe I'm thinking of another site. I'll have to check them out again next time.
Southwest Custom Rods - Lemke Reel Seat Hardware
Old 08-05-2014, 05:54 AM

rick70 is on a distinguished road

Drop dead sexy job mate!! Love the bindings!!

Congrats!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 AM

Thanks for all the great comments guys. I've used it a few times so far now and it's a blast for bluegill and bass. I even managed some 6 - 8 inch native brookies on it this past weekend which was a ton of fun.

Definitely my favorite rod build so far.