Just finished my 0wt build

nick k

Reaction score
Have a look:

Below are some pictures. I'm taking it out for its first spin today. Some specifics on it:

Blanks: RDP Fly Rods - 0wt 7'6'' 4pc ($60)
Real Seat: REC w/ Amboyna insert (~$50)
Grip: Cigar shape, high quality ($21)
Guides: Titan single foot guides with inserts (~$35)
Thread: Variegated brownish (~$3)
TOTAL = ~$179

nick k

Reaction score
Nice Job !

Very classic look !
That's what I was going for. Normally I do more modern themes, but I wanted to try something more traditional. This was my first rod using single foot guides and a cap and slide reel seat. I have only done snakes and uplocking before. Also my first rod with a cigar grip, which I'm really liking.

Last edited:

mojo

Reaction score
Treat that reel seat good. $10 less than the rod. :) Looks like a fun time on the skinny waters.

nick k

Reaction score
Treat that reel seat good. $10 less than the rod. :) Looks like a fun time on the skinny waters.
You'd be real surprised at how hard it is to find a cap and slide reel seat under 40 that doesn't look ugly as hell.

williamhj

Reaction score
You'd be real surprised at how hard it is to find a cap and slide reel seat under 40 that doesn't look ugly as hell.
+1 I figure buy what you want, it is a custom rod and reel seats can be a very beautiful part of a build. Love the build and look forward to seeing some pictures of it in action. Where did you get the thread?

mojo

Reaction score
No I wouldn't. Last few builds I did were using Joel Lemke seats and hardware.

nick k

Reaction score
No I wouldn't. Last few builds I did were using Joel Lemke seats and hardware.
I looked at the lemke stuff. Nice but expensive, and mostly all metal.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

+1 I figure buy what you want, it is a custom rod and reel seats can be a very beautiful part of a build. Love the build and look forward to seeing some pictures of it in action. Where did you get the thread?
I tried it out yesterday, was sooooo much fun on bluegills and small bass. I got the thread from Hook & Hackle. I think it was called FishHawk variegated thread. The color alternates on its own, so for someone like me who isn't great at doing that manually while winding thread, it's really nice.

petee

Reaction score
Glad you didn't go with an "ugly as hell" seat. It would have deterred from the beauty of the build ;)

Lemke.... mostly metal? We frequenting the same site? With the LC1 up or down locking, LC17, 25, 26 or Titanium hardware you are looking at a ton of options for inserts. Not to mention his sliding band hardware. No $$$$ interest in Joel's seats. I do use them on all my customer builds, unless I am turning my own sliding band hardware.

nick k

Reaction score
Glad you didn't go with an "ugly as hell" seat. It would have deterred from the beauty of the build ;)

Lemke.... mostly metal? We frequenting the same site? With the LC1 up or down locking, LC17, 25, 26 or Titanium hardware you are looking at a ton of options for inserts. Not to mention his sliding band hardware. No $$$$ interest in Joel's seats. I do use them on all my customer builds, unless I am turning my own sliding band hardware.
Hmmm, maybe I'm thinking of another site. I'll have to check them out again next time.

williamhj

Reaction score
I'll add that I love the seats I get from Dave Winslow. He offers three styles available and turns the inserts himself. Very easy to work with, nice site that is great to navigate with prices listed. Also at a good price point - $25-$35.

nick k

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great comments guys. I've used it a few times so far now and it's a blast for bluegill and bass. I even managed some 6 - 8 inch native brookies on it this past weekend which was a ton of fun.

Definitely my favorite rod build so far.