The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 02:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New line of Batson blanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
You answered a few questions in your reply Eastfly66, I was wondering the kind of action that would allow a SH to be converted to DH. I'll give batson a call and try to confuse them.
I've two single handers done up as light speys and they work just fine. The two 'keys' is you can not force a cast with these fellows the other is properly lining same. And you can use a single hand line with these light Puppies.

Several excellent custom (maybe commercial folks too?) build 3 wt 'trout speys' and they really are a treat to cast/fish. Main 'problem' with converting a one hander rod is the accessibility of a blank that's over 10' long. And under 10' just isn't worth the time or effort.
runningfish and eastfly66 like this.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:28 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Fred, I am bringing this discussion to private message since I have derailed the thread.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
Let us know what they had to say ? They have great customer service there.

I have been thinking, I would agree with Rip Tide that the blank/rod is "unremarkable" and I find it similar to the VXP , but what is remarkable is that I can build the RX7 for $130 and the VXP was $500 +

The VXP may have had a slight edge but I don't know about a 400 dollar edge!

Just my opinion Rip , no offense intended

I don't think the VXP SH 4 wt. I tried would not have liked those non linier spey cast either , but I do have a VXP 7133 that does ! (closeout 395)
Thank you Eastfly 66.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:37 PM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

I knew you would have the answer Fred !

This is the closet blank I can think of and as I understand although a "switch" it was rated for SH line .It is a 10'8" 5 wt.

Rainshadow Switch Rod Blank 108" 5wt-Hook & Hackle

T&T makes a 11' + 5 wt 2 hander but that is not in the $$ margin
Old 07-30-2014, 04:16 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, i heard that Batson Blanks were rated as single hand. This, and the 3pcs junior spey handle that NickJ pointed for me would lead me into building my own, which I know for sure beyond my skill or willingness to invest in the tools.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:37 PM

batsonbrands is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I've built 4 Batson rods and I'm not in a rush to do another one.

The 8' 5wt was so unremarkable that I gave it away after a single trip.
After that there were three 9wts that all broke.
Rather than build a 4th, I just took parts from the other 3 and put them together. Different colored blanks, but that's okay
It's a good rod and I use it sometimes, but I keep expecting it to blow up.
Not exactly what I want to have my mind on while I'm fishing.
Im sorry that you didn't have any good experiences with this. What rod lines did you get?
FYI we discontinued a few lines and went with new much improved models! We have also have had great feedback from them as well!! I would like for you to give us one more chance!! I feel that the new offerings will wow you!

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Hi Everyone!!! Thank you for talking about our new blanks!! Have you checked them out on our website?

So FYI, the Eternity2 and the Revelation models in Fly have received excellent feedback! The Immortal with the switch and spey which is also new has received over whelming excellent feedback as well!!
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:13 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
I am not a rod builder but I've heard a lot about the Batson Rainshadow and Angler Roost blanks. Is one better than the other?
I am trying to convince myself to buy a cheap 4wt 9ft and convert it to a double hand by adding the bottom handle.
I built a 12'0" 2 hander on the Anglers Roost IM6 blanks. What I'll say is that they are cheap, but they are cheap. I love the rod itself and I built it nice, but the blanks aren't even 100% straight and the cutoffs aren't entirely level. You get what you pay for basically, which isn't necessarily bad if you aren't expecting a lot. The UHM12 (or whatever they call the ultra high modulus blanks) were a disastrous experience. They are nicer on their own, but come with these stupid gold imprinted lines and wording at the beginning and end of every section that can't be removed as they are part of the finish. They don't even mark the spine and are about an inch long. Several fell on the guide placement and I wasn't about to have half an inch of gold stuff sticking out from under my wraps. They really just ruin the entire rod, I wouldn't even consider building on the blanks with them there.

Johnny (the owner at ARE) is also very unpleasant to deal with, and honestly not very professional. If your order goes great he is fine, if you have questions or something went wrong, not so much.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsonbrands View Post
Im sorry that you didn't have any good experiences with this. What rod lines did you get?
FYI we discontinued a few lines and went with new much improved models! We have also have had great feedback from them as well!! I would like for you to give us one more chance!! I feel that the new offerings will wow you!

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Hi Everyone!!! Thank you for talking about our new blanks!! Have you checked them out on our website?

So FYI, the Eternity2 and the Revelation models in Fly have received excellent feedback! The Immortal with the switch and spey which is also new has received over whelming excellent feedback as well!!

I have looked at your website many times and enjoy building on your blanks. Glad to see your keeping some 2 piece rods available.

Is there any chance you'll ever reproduce any of your spey blanks again with the naked carbon finish?
I have an older 'Rainshadow' 13' 7wt with the naked carbon finish, and one in reserve to build at a later date just in case anything ever happens to the other. I'm a huge fan of the 13' 7wt unpainted blanks.
imxer likes this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 08-15-2014, 11:00 AM

batsonbrands is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I have looked at your website many times and enjoy building on your blanks. Glad to see your keeping some 2 piece rods available.

Is there any chance you'll ever reproduce any of your spey blanks again with the naked carbon finish?
I have an older 'Rainshadow' 13' 7wt with the naked carbon finish, and one in reserve to build at a later date just in case anything ever happens to the other. I'm a huge fan of the 13' 7wt unpainted blanks.
First off, Thank you so much for your business!! Yes we try to accommodate everyone, unfortunately we can't do it all. Im glad we kept 2 pieces rods too!!

We currently don't have any spey blanks with a naked carbon finish. Will we ever do it again? Its quite possible. One thing to note, the newer technology on rods has enabled all rod blank manufacturers to push the limit and create amazingly new rod blanks! I don't know about you, but maybe think of just stripping the blank down to the raw? Our Titanium coating is beautiful, but to strip it off shouldn't be too much of a chore.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm, stripping it down almost sounds sacrilegious!
Though, perhaps we've stumbled onto a new "look" here, the antique weathered & worn look is popular in furniture....why not fly rods?

Thanks, for responding.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 08-15-2014, 11:59 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Hmmmm, stripping it down almost sounds sacrilegious!
Though, perhaps we've stumbled onto a new "look" here, the antique weathered & worn look is popular in furniture....why not fly rods?

Thanks, for responding.
"Shabby Chic" fly rods!
fyshstykr likes this.