The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By siege
  • 1 Post By Auntie Em

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 09:53 PM

witrouter is on a distinguished road
Default Old Spinning rod into a Fly Rod

I just got back from the digging through the in-laws storage shed and found some old fiberglass spinning rods. They are around 6' long. I was wondering if it was possible to strip all the old hardware off the blank and build a decent fly rod out of them?
Old 08-17-2014, 10:20 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Spinning rod into a Fly Rod

I've gone the other way: taking a fly blank and building a spinning rod on it. Read that you take the rod weight and put it over 16 to get the lure weight. Eg a 5 wt would be 5/16 oz, just a ball park though. Have no idea if the rod action would work well for a fly rod. Could start with the Common Cents method to get a sense of the weight and action of a blank then build and see how it goes.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:25 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

If you are going to spend the time to build a fly rod, and the money for guides, cork, a reel seat, thread, color preserver, and epoxie finish, I'd suggest you spend a few more bucks and buy a blank. The taper and action will probably work a lot better for you. Build a rod that suits your style of fishing.
If you don't spin fish, give the spin rods to a scout troop, homeless shelter, or Goodwill. It's a tax deduction, too !
Which ever way you go, show us the finished build. Have fun with the project !
Old 08-18-2014, 09:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've done it.
I converted the 4'9" solid fiberglass spin rod that I'd had since age 4 to fly.
Don't ever use it, but I'm still glad that I preserved the rod.

A few years ago, on another forum, a bunch of people were building short fly rods from cheap spin rod blanks.
I think that a member here, Auntie Em, was one of them
Old 08-18-2014, 10:02 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Throw a fly reel on it as is and cast it. That should give you some idea if it'll work. My guess is it will.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

How funny, Rip Tide, that you'd remember that! Yes, a good many years ago we were challenged to build a serviceable fly rod, from a spinning rod ... for under $25! And, proved it can be done very successfully! We cut and ferruled the rod blank, added basic guides, a basic grip and reel seat. I think all of us who participated in this project were surprised at how well the rods fished! It definitely can be done. If the rod you're considering is a family heirloom ... I'd probably not do it. If it's a rod you like, or a new purchase (there're some pretty kewl colors available out there now!!) go for it! Fishing's all about having fun.
Rip Tide likes this.