Should I go cheap on the first build?

amertens

Reaction score
So, this is a complete newbie question for rod building. I really want an epic fiberglass rod, and for the prices I'm pretty set on building the kit. My question comes in on should I build a cheap kit first to get a feel for it or should I dive right in and build what I want?

I am not too concerned about cosmetics, I just want a usable rod that will last. Will my lack of experience be detrimental to the performance or life span of a rod? I know I can redo wraps until I'm happy, but if I muff up the epoxy will it hinder the strength of the guides? Same goes for the grip and real seat.

I keep toying with the idea of starting with a cheap kit or even a cheaper spinning rod or ice pole kit, but I really don't want to waste money on a cheapy that I will probably never use. Any help or opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eastfly66

Reaction score
I just want a usable rod that will last
If you want a rod your going to use long term , try to see if you can cast one someone built already so you know what to expect , problem is with the cheap off shore blanks there like a box of chocolates , you never know what your gonna get ....
I would check out Dan Craft for close to the same price tag as " others "

and yes , I would build a good one , take your time and ask the experienced guys for advise

amertens

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I haven't checked out dan craft yet but have come across the name in several places and have read nothing but good things. Thanks again!

williamhj

Reaction score
If you want an epic, build an epic. You can practice applying the finish to the wraps on a dowel if you want - just wrap them on and apply. The mess-ups you'd be likely to do is to apply too much finish and end up with a football look on the guide wraps, have the finish extend too far beyond the wraps, etc. But really applying finish in a way that will hold the guides is not hard. Getting a smooth, thin coat on the wraps takes a bit more. Just take your time and think twice (or thrice) before applying finish to wraps or epoxying the grip and reel seat on and you'll be fine.

That said, if you want to practice on a less expensive blank, there are plenty of good ones out there. We on the forum and point you in the right direction and a bit of online research will yield reviews and reports on good off shore blanks, many coming in for under $100, some well under.

siege

Reaction score
Build the rod you are looking to own and love. If you build it like it doesn't matter, using cheap materials, you are doing yourself no favors. Don't treat it like a disposable learning experience. You will end up with something you don't want. Build the best rod you can. You will tend to be more careful knowing that you may produce a great rod. I still use the first rod I ever built. It was a glass rod I made in 1976. It's actually prety ugly by today's standards, but comes out of the closet once in a while for fun.
Build it, use it, enjoy it, and then if you decide you want a different length, weight, or action, use the experience you've gained on the next project.
Enjoy the journey.

amertens

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! Weathers turning to **** here so I think I'll have some time to shop for some tools and get started! I'm stoked. Again thanks for all the advice!

Now if you guys would just make up my mind on which color I'd be set!!! ... Only kidding....kinda...

acorad

Reaction score
I just built my first rod, a cheapo ebay blank.

Now that I'm done and I look at the handiwork on professionally-built rods, and compare it to my handiwork, if this had been a premium blank, I'd have been bummed.

There definitely a real learning curve.

That said, there is nothing to stop it from performing just as well as if a pro had built it, however it won't look nearly as good doing it.

Andy

plecain

Reaction score
Maybe I was fortunate. On my first build I used a cheap blank and still got a rod I like and use frequently.

The blank was $29 - a 10' 3 wt nymphing rod. It has some small faults, like uneven amounts of thread on guide wraps, but that doesn't affect how it works.

I learned a lot building it and didn't spend a lot of money.

williamhj

Reaction score
That said, there is nothing to stop it from performing just as well as if a pro had built it, however it won't look nearly as good doing it.

Andy
That is a good point. Spend time making sure guides are placed right, the seat lines up with the guides, etc and the rod will perform well even if there are gaps and overlaps on the wraps, finish issues, etc.

All of my builds have been on blanks less expensive than the Epic so I think nice rods can be built on less expensive blanks, even blanks less than $40. However if you've got your heart set on an Epic, build away! When your skills get better you can strip the rod and redo it.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
If you want an epic, build an epic. You can practice applying the finish to the wraps on a dowel if you want - just wrap them on and apply. The mess-ups you'd be likely to do is to apply too much finish and end up with a football look on the guide wraps, have the finish extend too far beyond the wraps, etc. But really applying finish in a way that will hold the guides is not hard. Getting a smooth, thin coat on the wraps takes a bit more. Just take your time and think twice (or thrice) before applying finish to wraps or epoxying the grip and reel seat on and you'll be fine.

That said, if you want to practice on a less expensive blank, there are plenty of good ones out there. We on the forum and point you in the right direction and a bit of online research will yield reviews and reports on good off shore blanks, many coming in for under $100, some well under.
READ THIS TWICE ... THEN TWICE MORE. :fishing: William's nailed it. Lots of years back to when I built my first rod (don't ask, most of you are not that old ;) ) and I still have/use that 7wt Sage. Only tool was a thread holder on the edge of the kitchen table, the dowel, then the blank, which was across my knees as I wrapped the threads.

Mr. Cat-Cat sitting on the table 'critiquing' the middling efforts. God that Cat could give you 'the look.' :rolleyes:

'A right of passage?' Perhaps? But it was, still is: 'My First Rod.' No idea what became of the rest.

Back on point: JUST DO IT! Tool wise all you need is the thread holder and a table/desk edge on which to secure same. A cat would be good ....... :shades:

fae

amertens

Reaction score
Thanks again fellas. Williamhj, thanks. That was kinda what I was getting at with the gaps and what not. Mr. Evans, your reply appreciated as always, I think you said it, just do it. I over think and over research everything I do, I just need to get going with some real experience.

itchmesir

Reaction score
I received a rod in one of the epic build kit boxes... The box can be constructed to actually be used to build the rod... I've got my eyes set as well! And by the sounds of it I'll have plenty of time to take up rod building this winter if it's as bad as they say... Not to mention the thousands of woolly bears I've seen this fall which indicates a long winter

amertens

Reaction score
Just curious, what the hell is a wooly bear? .... Sorry, Nevada desert rat here, you went over my head with that one.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are a detail oriented type then your first may be pretty good, I wouldn't skimp on much because there are few things that can go wrong. Few things that is if you take your time and remember that you have an investment in the whole thing and don't hurry any one step. My very first restoration on a cane rod was perhaps the best work I did on such a project. I've done others but never one I felt was neater.

Ard

amertens

Reaction score
Thanks Ard. The hands on part is actually what I like about the rod building idea more than anything. My main hobbies besides fishing are car restoration metal fabrication and machining. Like to think I'm fairly detail oriented.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
With those hobbies you will be a natural, the hardest part for me was making good tightly packed windings and hiding the tucked thread on the same spot at every guide and ferrule. I haven't read all the replies but I'm sure someone has said to get a rod finishing motor and chuck for when you treat the windings. I actually have an old rod wrapping rack and motor I got in the early 80's that made it a breeze. before that I had been taught to take the thread through a book for tension and I made my own set of props. The rack made it better.

amertens

Reaction score
Yeah, I planned on not screwing around in the tools end. Back to the mechanicing thing, buy good tools once. Getting a good wrapper and drying motor. I might splurge on the laser line deal from mudhole for guide placement too. For fourty dollars that might save me hours upon hours of an OCD induced anxiety attack of taping and eyeballing.

rockthief

Reaction score
Practice. Buy a cheap blank, spinning or fly, from a thrift store. Strip it of components and practice wrapping and aligning guides. Time is short. Buy the blank you desire, build it, then fish it. My built rods look like I had a chocolate bar in one hand and a brick in the other. I just cannot get the details as I'd like them no matter what I do. But the rods fish perfectly and that is what I want. I am no artist but I am a fly fisher. Hopefully you will be better at building than I, but no matter what you will fish your rod and love it.

You could use sewing thread for practice if you want. Just a thought.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I am not too concerned about cosmetics, I just want a usable rod that will last. Will my lack of experience be detrimental to the performance or life span of a rod? I know I can redo wraps until I'm happy, but if I muff up the epoxy will it hinder the strength of the guides? Same goes for the grip and real seat.
I still use a Lamiglass rod that my father built for me in 1972 and believe me, he was no expert :rolleyes:
When the reelseat fell off I had to replace the deteriorated masking tape that was used as bushings, but that was no big deal and beside wear to the spigot ferrule, the rod is still going strong

Personally, I repair/rebuild/restore many more rods than I build new.
There can be challenges, but redoing something that you don't like about a rod is no big deal

Oh, and I happen to think that practicing your wraps is a waste of time
Your first attempts at wrapping guides will not be pretty, but nothing is "permanent" until you glue it
You might as well just go at it realizing that there will be "do-overs"

And another thing :rolleyes:
Even with my poor eyesight, I have no trouble eyeballing my guide alinement.
When it comes time to do it, put a reel on the rod and balance the rod over the backs of a pair of straight chairs
You can then look down the "barrel" and easily see which guides need alining
The hard part here is having exactly the right amount of thread tension so that you can wiggle the guides into place but still have it tight enough not to unravel.

Last edited:

amertens

Reaction score
Thanks rip tide. You guys are boosting my confidence on this. Just curious, how do you get all of the epoxy off a blank without damaging it when you restore one?