The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter
  • 3 Post By runningfish
  • 4 Post By ia_trouter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2014, 12:40 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all
Default stubborn butt cap.

This is what I get from not following "the plan".
I started to assemble my first build and pretty excited to get going with the reel seat and the grip. Every thing clicked and checked, mixed the 15 minutes epoxy, smeared it on the reel seat section, slided it in and perfecto. "Hey, there is still some epoxy left, let's put the butt cap" and......i forgot to put the screw ring. No worries, I'll just boil the butt cap, I did it before anyway and it just popped right off. Well, not on this one, first was 3 minutes, then 5 minutes and 10 minutes of boiling and the it's still there. I even borrowed my wife's hair dryer with the nozzle, the aluminum part was so hot I had to use a pair of gloves to touch it and it still not moving.

So, help!

I don't want to cut the cap so no dremel please.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:45 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: stubborn butt cap.

I wonder if the fresh epoxy is making it worse? I'm just parroting what I have read, but I know some people say going from hot to cold repeatedly can help.
runningfish likes this.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:49 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

Yes, hot and cold 3x then I used a small screw driver covered with masking tape I put the shaft in my armpit and pushed, pushed, pushed and a success.
thank you ia.trouter
mcnerney, williamhj and ia_trouter like this.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:46 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Glad to hear it worked. I have practiced the hot-cold techniques in the garage for decades, but my torch and a fire extinguisher trick is not yet sanctioned for use in the house.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:19 PM

I was about this.. close to use a lighter.
However, I had to push the cap with the intention to destroy it to be able to get it out.
fyi, I just finished testing the 5wt blue halo with all the guides taped. It is outstanding and very accurate. I could feel a tad of stiffness for reserve power for heavier flies.

by the way, when I was eyeballing the blank with all the component taped, the tip of the rod was kind of curving to the right. William suggested to put a guide to straighten the curve a bit, just thought I'd share this tip for anyone who happens to bump into this.

Last edited by runningfish; 12-21-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:50 PM

acorad is on a distinguished road

I tend to think a bend in the tip won't affect the cast much, if at all, when under the weight of the line, but, just in case, I've always positioned the guides on the blank such that the "bend" is in-line with the casting direction. iow, either "up" or "down," and not "left" or "right."

Andy
Old 12-21-2014, 03:35 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'll go back and check the email but don't think I said add a guide. Instead put the guides on the inside of the curve, or to describe it another way lay the blank on a table so the tip is up off the surface and mark your guides on the top of the blank. Personally unless the curve is really pronounced I don't stress it too much.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:18 PM

William, I misunderstood your email. Got it corrected...i hope. thank you.

I think I won't change anything since I like the way it casts now.