The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2015, 03:53 PM

dwizum has a spectacular aura aboutdwizum has a spectacular aura about
Default Jumping in

I'm a DIY type and I've wanted to build a rod for a long time. The opportunity is finally here, I just ordered two kits (one for me, one for my wife). A 6'6 2wt and 9' 5wt rainshadow RX6 from flyrodbuildingkits.com

I haven't got my hands on a stand yet to wrap them in, I'm on the fence about spending $50 to buy one or just making one.

Wish me luck! I'll report back once I have them built.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:17 AM

badfish creek will become famous soon enoughbadfish creek will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Jumping in

Welcome aboard! Can I ask where in upstate NY you are? When I found myself drawn to making my own rod I too was torn between buying a wrapping stand or making one.....so I just made my own. I also made my own cork press for the grip, I machined my own cork slicer for custom thickness cork rings. Made some other things too. Just part of the DIY state of mind.

Enjoy!
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:30 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish creek View Post
Welcome aboard! Can I ask where in upstate NY you are? When I found myself drawn to making my own rod I too was torn between buying a wrapping stand or making one.....so I just made my own. I also made my own cork press for the grip, I machined my own cork slicer for custom thickness cork rings. Made some other things too. Just part of the DIY state of mind.

Enjoy!
Ahhhh, the cork thing. That was the pain in the butt when I built my own rods. Finally tossed in and just had those built for me. Rest of the rod (guide spacing was the the critical bit) was easy.

Sat there with the thread tentioner (proper term-proper spelling?) attached to a table, blank in my lap, spin and went at it. The real question was 'What coulor thread?' End game was I went for the multi-colour stuff; a bit of this, a bit of that but no question as to who built the rod.

fae
Old 06-14-2015, 03:54 PM

Badfish, I am just outside of Syracuse. Tons of good small trout streams, hence my choice in rods!
Old 06-15-2015, 04:48 PM

badfish creek will become famous soon enoughbadfish creek will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwizum View Post
Badfish, I am just outside of Syracuse. Tons of good small trout streams, hence my choice in rods!
I grew up in Oswego County, little town called Hannibal. Grew up fishing a couple little tiny creeks that had natural reproducing salmon and steelhead runs. Never fished the Salmon River till just a couple of years ago.

I have always wanted to get over to the other side of Syracuse to look at some of the trout streams. I remember going to Carpenter's Brook Trout Hatchery a couple of times as a kid.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:18 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

Dwizum, I used a fly tying bobbin for my first 2 builds and it worked well. Tying with bobbin allows me to have free movement and control over the thread.

I just bought a Pac Bay Hand Wrapper HW JR for $43 incld shipping from utmostenterprises out of WA since I am planning to build more rods and it seems $43 is a decent investment.

By the way, I know a well known pro who built 2 double hand grips with better cork with my own design and size for the same price if not less than the factory preformed grips.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish creek View Post
I grew up in Oswego County, little town called Hannibal. Grew up fishing a couple little tiny creeks that had natural reproducing salmon and steelhead runs. Never fished the Salmon River till just a couple of years ago.

I have always wanted to get over to the other side of Syracuse to look at some of the trout streams. I remember going to Carpenter's Brook Trout Hatchery a couple of times as a kid.
I think Carpenter's brook is a default field trip in this area. I went a couple times as a kid. It was pretty cool to see the giant breeding stock up close.

The east branch of the limestone creek runs along one edge of my property, I can be on Chittenango, Butternut, or a half dozen other creeks in 20 minutes. It's a great spot for small stream trout. Let me know if you do ever get over this way and I can point you towards the best spots. All that said I'm starting to expand my horizons a bit. I haven't been to the salmon river but I have made a bunch of trips over near Buffalo for some of the larger creeks to chase steelhead and other big stuff. My brother in law has started scouting the Salmon River this summer, we're hoping to find a less-traveled section to get some salmon action this fall without huge crowds.

runningfish, I've thought about using a bobbin, mostly because after years of fly tying, the idea of a stationary thread anchor seems really weird to me. I'm going to practice on some plain old dowels before I touch the blanks, at any rate.

How critical is a dryer? On the one hand, the idea of turning the blanks every few minutes for a few hours doesn't sound THAT bad, but on the other hand, having them turned by a motor sounds like a better way to get a consistent result. What speeds to most people use? I'm asking because after some browsing on eBay I see dryers with speeds from 5 or 6 rpm all the way up to 40 or 50 rpm.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:55 PM

The beauty of a dryer is I feel it helps you apply a smoother finish on the wraps etc. I bought a couple with different speeds off eBay. I will have to look at my DIY dryer to see what speed I ended up using. Here is a link to my Batson RainShadow switch rod build. It was my first rod I had ever built...

Batson Rainshadow 7wt switch
Old 06-17-2015, 11:53 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Get a dryer. Well worth the small cost of either buying or making one . The higher speeds are good for applying finish, if you like applying finsih with the rod spinning. Personally I apply the finish and then put the rod on my dryer. But, I often use a couple of drops of denatured alcohol to thin my finish a bit. Adding the alcohol increases the finish set up time, so I typically keep the rods turning over night. No way I am going to rotate a rod by hand for as long I would need to.

Good thing about building rods is there is no one "thou shalt" step. Try different methods for each step and find the one that works for you.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 06-17-2015, 12:23 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

+1 to Petee,

Get the dryer, I bought the mudhole RDS 9RPM, bought an extra V insert, removed the motor while winding the thread, put the motor back to apply the resin for drying, and run them overnight. I dropped a bit of denatured alcohol into my first layer mixture so the resin will penetrate into the guides' feet.
By the way, don't use Color preserver and get ProWrap Colorfast threads.
have fun.