The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2015, 10:12 AM

saflyfish is on a distinguished road
Default Rod blank issue?

Hi guys

When i hold the 2 & 3 pieces (joined) of my rod at the bottom of the 2nd section which is a 4 piece and whip it back and forward i hear a "tick tick" sound coming from the blank.
Ive checked the ferrule for cracks/breaks as well as the male portions but alas i cant find the noise issue.
Ive even inserted a piece of wire and threaded it through both sections(separate) and theres nothing in the blank...

You experienced rod builders/repairers know what/where the problem could be?
Old 06-28-2015, 10:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod blank issue?

How far does the male fit into the female end ?
3 times I've had rod blanks with mis-matched sections
Old 06-28-2015, 10:21 AM

The rod is actually not just the blank but a complete factory rod which ive fished for years,only recently started making this irritating noise.
The two pieces fit perfectly and snugly like they always have
Old 06-28-2015, 10:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Then you probably just need some wax
Old 06-28-2015, 11:47 AM

ok thanks rip tide,let me go apply some ferrule wax and ill let you know if that solved the problem

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

ok after spending the whole weekend under a bright light and a magnifying glass i couldnt detect any cracks/fractures on the blank or any loose guides etc.
My ocd has been driving me crazy...listening very close its coming from the join area...the male fits the female portion snugly,however it sounds like the tip of the male section is making contact on the internal blank wall of the 3rd section when whipping the blank back and forth.So thats the problem.
Putting wax on the male section takes the sound away which is a victory,however the two sections are now far apart due to the wax??
I stripped all the wax off again and applied a heavy dose to the last quarter inch of the male section.It takes the sound away.Wish i could thicken that last quarter inch some other way
Old 06-28-2015, 12:31 PM

horsehead has a spectacular aura abouthorsehead has a spectacular aura abouthorsehead has a spectacular aura about

You can dip it varnish and let it dry. Do it a couple times until the desired thickness is achieved. If you make it too thick you can always sand it back down a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2015, 12:37 PM

great thanks horsehead
what kind of varnish?wood varnish?
Old 06-28-2015, 12:59 PM

horsehead has a spectacular aura abouthorsehead has a spectacular aura abouthorsehead has a spectacular aura about

I've only read about it, never done it myself. But from what I've read, Spar Varnish is what you're looking for and its best to use one that is Exterior or Marine Rated, like Helmsmen, Man O War, etc, available at ACE, Home Depot, lowe's, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk