The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Did the lets Build a Rod Together Thread Die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
fishingmonkey ... why such a long rod?
To make up for my lack of self-esteem. JK Sorry I couldn't resist!

I like them for high stick nymphing, They load easier and are therefore easier to cast and mend line for good long drifts, casts farther when you need to, and as long as there are no obstructions allow you be further away from the water when fishing for very spooky fish in gin clear water where they see you just as easily as you see them.

There have been only a few situations at least where I fish here in California where a shorter rod due to tight quarters would have been advantageous. If I cannot find a 9' I'll settle for a 8' or 8'6."

The main reason I'm interested in a 3wt is recently my Guide on the Upper Sacramento River brought one out and it was a very "fishy" rod.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:07 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Well!!!! That explains it all!!

Wish you were closer ... I'd have you try out my 7'3# Lamiglass!! That puppy'll cast!! Plus, it's short enough to be useful in tighter situations.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Is this a stupid question, does the Batson Rainshadow compare to the Pac Bay Rainforest or is the rainforest so much bettter that there just is no comparison.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.