The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Did the lets Build a Rod Together Thread Die?

I saw the lets build a rod together thread and got pretty excited, but it seemed to just end abruptly or did I miss something is there a sequel thread that I'm missing.

I've never built a rod, but have been very interested in doing so for quite some time. It's something really believe I would enjoy, might not be very artistic, but I think I'd be a competent rod builder. Matter of fact I was planning at one time on building a couple fiberglass rods and purchased a couple of the Lamiglass Honey Comb blanks 5 weights a couple years with the idea of building being father son project. I've since decided I don't think I want to build on those blanks and I sold one locally to a guy in a local fly shop. I placed the other here in the classifieds, but to my surprise apparently know one was interested.

I have a couple of questions. When it comes to the Tiger Eye or Batson blanks I read about in the "Lets Build and Rod Together Thread what are they comparable to quality wise? I currently own a Sage 486 LL 8'.6" 4wt, a Redington CT 9' 5wt, and a TFO Finesse 8'9" 4wt. All of which I really like a lot, but the action of the TFO Finesse 4wt is my favorite and it is the most "traditional" action of the three rods. Are the Tiger Eye or Batson blanks comparable in quality to the above mentioned rods?

I would really like to build rods of at least comparable quality to those. Now as to quality I'm not referring to action, but the actual quality of the blanks themselves. If that makes sense.

I heard from people I have met over the years who build rods that if you get away from the commercially name brand rod manufacturers that you can buy much better rods for considerably less cost and with better components. Is that true?

Rainshadow blanks is also one of the names I remember being mentioned as being better than many of the blanks used in Rods that sell for over $400.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 08-11-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Did the lets Build a Rod Together Thread Die?

Yep. It's over. Your too late.
But you can start another one.
Right now.
This minute.
Got it?

Your turn.

You own a Sage LL and the TFO is your favorite? Holy cr@p!
I'll buy you a Tiger Eye blank if you send me the LL.
Deal?
In blanks, you get what you pay for. A Sage, Winston, T&T, Burkheimer, Mieser, Dan Craft are all blanks I would get over an Asian built Batson or TE. Google up Dan Craft and check out his site. He has great blanks.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Yep. It's over. Your too late.
But you can start another one.
Right now.
This minute.
Got it?

Your turn.

You own a Sage LL and the TFO is your favorite? Holy cr@p!
I'll buy you a Tiger Eye blank if you send me the LL.
Deal?
In blanks, you get what you pay for. A Sage, Winston, T&T, Burkheimer, Mieser, Dan Craft are all blanks I would get over an Asian built Batson or TE. Google up Dan Craft and check out his site. He has great blanks.
$300 and a American Made Blank that has a traditional Action and maybe I'll send you the Sage LL.

Yes I may be crazy, but I do actually prefer the action of the TFO Finesse over that of the Sage LL. I like traditional action rods whether I'm fishing dries or nymphs and the TFO Finesse has a more traditional action than the Sage LL its just that simple.

Its not that I need the lighter rod to cast well either I can cast fine with a faster action, but I do believe that a moderate action fits my casting style better. However when I have fished with modern medium/fast or fast action rods I feel like I'm fishing with a broom handle. I also apparently unlike others like to fight a fish and not muscle them in and the medium fast rods I have owned just felt like I was dragging in a 12" inch wild trout with a stripper rod and I do not like that. Part of the fun of fishing at least for may is fighting the fish.

Several Old Timer Fly roders that I have great respect for their expertise who can cast anything and are the best fisherman I know have told me that they do not like the faster rods, because they make up for too many mistakes and don't make a beginner have to learn the proper technique.

Perhaps this all makes me uninformed, because lots of people look at me like I'm crazy when I talk like this. However one day a man I know who owned a fly fishing shop for many years told me that manufacturers started focusing on building fast action rods as a gimmick to get more people involved with the sport do to the fact that faster action rods make up for peoples mistakes and do not force a person have to learn how to cast properly .

***Edit*** I found the Dan Craft Blanks I cannot see myself spending $200+ on just a blank. To me that is just insane. I'm sorry, but I just have a hard time believing it is not possible to get as good a rod blank made even in china for far less. Once again when I look at the Dan Craft blanks I see only Medium Fast and Fast Action what is this obsession with fast action rods that so many manufacturers make all their highest quality rods in only two speeds fast and faster. I'm sorry I just don't get it. My experience is limited, but I have never been a situation where I needed a rod that casts a mile and longer casts are the only advantage that I can see with these faster action rods. Then there is this obsession, with making them lighter and lighter what are we a bunch of out of shape wusses that need rods that are feather light to be able to cast all day the older timers fished all day with bamboo and fiberglass for crying out loud.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 08-11-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:00 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

If you are ever going to build up a blank, you need to get over your hang up's about names!! For heavens sake!!!! All rods start as blanks, be they bamboo, glass or graphite. They may be built to a companies specifications, but they're still a blank. Get a Tiger Eye (one of the prettiest blanks around, and most understated) ... get a Batson (I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Batson!!), and build it! Have a ball! Fish it! You will probably never go back to a "store bought" rod again! Your initial investment will be minimal, unless you are going to count what that investment does to your esteem! After you've built a few ... go for the "name" blanks if you want. Once you've tried the actions of the basic rods, you probably won't want to (go with "name" blanks).
JUST DO IT!!!!! It's all about having fun, spending quality time with your son, and fishing!
I'll help you every step of the way, when you decide to build it!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
If you are ever going to build up a blank, you need to get over your hang up's about names!! For heavens sake!!!! All rods start as blanks, be they bamboo, glass or graphite. They may be built to a companies specifications, but they're still a blank. Get a Tiger Eye (one of the prettiest blanks around, and most understated) ... get a Batson (I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Batson!!), and build it! Have a ball! Fish it! You will probably never go back to a "store bought" rod again! Your initial investment will be minimal, unless you are going to count what that investment does to your esteem! After you've built a few ... go for the "name" blanks if you want. Once you've tried the actions of the basic rods, you probably won't want to (go with "name" blanks).
JUST DO IT!!!!! It's all about having fun, spending quality time with your son, and fishing!
I'll help you every step of the way, when you decide to build it!

Auntie Em: If you are addressing me I think you missed my point altogether. Besides it was Mojo that directed me to the expensive ones. My only question when broken down to smallest equation is are these Batson and Tiger Eye blanks that were spoken of in the "Lets Make a Rod Together" thread as good as Sage and others. For crying out loud if I had my self-esteem tied up in my rods I sure as hell wouldn't say that I like my TFO Finnese better than my Sage LL. Matter of fact Mojo acted like I am crazy for saying that.

So are the Tiger Eye and Batson Blanks as good or better than brands like Sage, Winston, etc.? This is an honest question I do not know the answer to. I just do not want to spend my time building a rod that is not at least the quality of what I already have it they are as good that's great if they are better well then ! I'm not trying to be sarcastic or hostile I'm trying to find an honest answer.

I'm personally convinced that brands like TFO, Reddington, and others that use blanks made over seas in at least some of their rods are at least as good as the "big brands" even though in some cases their components and fit and finish aren't quite as up to par.

Last edited by FlyBum; 08-11-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I'm sorry! The "get over the names" was a "general" lament, rather than a "specific" one!!
I have a number of the high end rods ... and I rarely, if ever, use them! My go to rods are the Batson and Tiger Eye, Lami glass, Diamond Glass, and St Croix that I built over the years. Blindfolded, I (more than likely) wouldn't be able to tell the difference ... and I'd guess ( OK.... only a guess!!) that many on here wouldn't be able to tell the difference either! I have less tied up in my built rods all together, than I do in my one Hardy.
In a self built rod, I know the level of detail to finishing that is there. I did it. I know the quality of the components ... I picked them out, finished them off, and incorporated them in the build. There's a lot of satisfaction to know I could do that! It's also a h*ll of a lot of fun, when someone stream side asks if my rod is a Sage ... and I tell them, no, it's a Hiner!
Most honest of answers for you? I like the "named" rod blanks, as much, or better than the "Named" blanks. I'm free to do what I want with them, there'll never be another one just like it, and it keeps me off the streets!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:50 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not leave out Pacific Bay when it comes to 'no-name' blanks
My favorite (graphite) rod is a PacBay Rainforest and (sorry Em) it's far superior to my Batson rods.
Besides its spartan good looks and way it casts and fishes, I love the fact that the total investment was only 60 beans
Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 AM

Auntie & Rip: Thanks for the replies. These are the kinds of replies I am looking for.

Rip or others: I like a more moderate action for my trout stream and river fishing. I haven't done much still water, because I like the steam and river environments so much more.

I don't know you all are familliar with the actions of the TFO Finesse, but as I previously mentioned it is my favorite rod right now even more than my Sage LL. Do the Pac Bay Rainforest rods come in a moderate action?

I ask, because I think that I want to try building a 9' 3 wt. Since I currently already own a 6 wt and two 4wts that I like. Figure I should build something I don't have already.

Tom
Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 AM

Rip, Thank you for the reminder!! Sorry to have missed that name in my listing! Rainforests are wonderful!

fishingmonkey ... why such a long rod?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The PacBay Rainforest is an IM-7. It's been discontinued, but I believe that there are some still available.
The newer Rainforest II is an IM-8 and a slightly faster med-fast.

If you like a moderate action (and aren't afraid of the 'extra weight' ) you might look into fiberglass.
My favorite trout rod is a 50+ year old Phillipson Eponite Royal. Top of the line of a top quality builder. I got it cheap and refurbished it.
Good condition quality vintage glass rods can be pricey, but with a little rod building skills a yard sale rod can become a gem