The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2015, 03:11 PM

alexs will become famous soon enough
Default Who wants to build a rod for me?

I posted in the "Wanted" section with no success, so I am trying again here. If inappropriate, moderators please remove.
I am trying to find a builder preferably between Denver and Fort Collins, CO.
Nothing fancy, just a "plane Jane" but on an expensive blank. I have the components. The handle I have needs to be modified.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 07-25-2015, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who wants to build a rod for me?

There are some excellent builders here...you should find someone willing to do it
Old 07-25-2015, 04:51 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the Denver area I'd talk to Kevin at Colorado Custom Fly Rods (in Littleton) or Dave Winslow at Winslow Rods (Golden). Both are great guys and build nice rods. Kevin can do some amazing thread work - if you look at his site you'll see he can reproduce military ribbons on the rod for a vet etc. Dave turns reel seat inserts and have a fantastic variety of woods to choose from. I've met Kevin and seen his rods which look very nice. I've only seen pictures of Dave's but I buy reel seats from him for rods I'm building, and he does a very nice job turning the inserts, which I take as a reflection on his attention to detail etc. Both are great to work with.
fredaevans and weiliwen like this.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:02 PM

Kevin has some health issues and he has to build a couple rods before mine; the soonest I could have it is in 3 months.
I really wanna fish this rod this season...
Old 07-27-2015, 11:12 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Kevin builds a beautiful rod. Rods can not be produced overnight. Go with someone you can have face to face dealings with.

Do I dare say it? Many of us on this site are far too trusting of other people, and have been burned numerous times. It doesn't surprise me that few are speaking up/volunteering on this post. I'm still wearing scorch marks.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Any local fly shop or even a general tackle shop will have 'a guy' or at least know 'a guy' that will do this.

My buddy does rod repairs for a large bait and tackle shop locally. He works on an average of 6 rods a week in his spare time. From single guides to complete rebuilds to bamboo tip replacements.
I'm sure that there's plenty of similar guys in your area that would have no problem knocking this out for you in a week or two.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:05 PM

plecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Many of us on this site are far too trusting of other people, and have been burned numerous times.
I'm more than a little surprised by that.

I've had 9-10 transactions involving fishing goods/money on this site. I have yet to have one that isn't satisfactory.

Just lucky, I guess.

--Paul
Old 07-27-2015, 12:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
I'm more than a little surprised by that.

I've had 9-10 transactions involving fishing goods/money on this site. I have yet to have one that isn't satisfactory.

Just lucky, I guess.
I wasn't so lucky. Burned on the very first (and only) one.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 PM

I'll try the local shops, see if they know somebody.

Thanks,
Alex