The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2017, 11:39 AM

vpsihop1 is just really nicevpsihop1 is just really nicevpsihop1 is just really nicevpsihop1 is just really nicevpsihop1 is just really nice
Default Dennis Stone "Cascade" build

Hi everyone, always wanted some bamboo, and this will be my first rod build of any kind.

Purchased blanks from Dennis Stone. Hollowed 8' 5wt hex bamboo. Have been looking for an all aluminium or nickle silver down locking reel seat. Anyone know of a maker? Also curious about tip top size for this 5 wt. What loop sizes are standard. Was looking at the HWI SST in chromed Titanium, only can find it in a size #6.

Stripping guide will be a size 10 Fuji torzite, step down to a size 3 REC single foot, then down to size 1 single foot the rest of the way. I've heard the REC tip top is the lightest, so I'm thinking about that also.

White silk wraps for a transparent look. I appreciate minimalism.

Thoughts, comments appreciated.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2017, 08:15 PM

cochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dennis Stone "Cascade" build

I typically get all of my seats from these guys.

Struble Mfg Co
Old 03-18-2017, 09:17 PM

vpsihop1 is just really nicevpsihop1 is just really nicevpsihop1 is just really nicevpsihop1 is just really nicevpsihop1 is just really nice

Cool stuff, thank you, still can't find an all metal down locking seat.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:13 PM

mattbr will become famous soon enoughmattbr will become famous soon enough

The pac bay CL7 reel seat is decent, but be aware the place where the reel seat sits says "pacific bay".

Proof fly fishing also has aluminum seats in a variety of sizes. Never had my hands on them though.

Both are imported, if that matters to you.

For a little more, REC makes all aluminum seats but they are mostly larger sizes and probably won't be appropriate for your blank.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:15 PM

Thank you! Researching​I've found the Lemke LC10 is maybe available as a down locking. Anyone use this product?

Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 PM

swcr is on a distinguished road

As the dealer for the Lemke line I can assure you of the quality of the product in both fit and finish, and not an imported seat
Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcr View Post
As the dealer for the Lemke line I can assure you of the quality of the product in both fit and finish, and not an imported seat
Fantastic! So I can call the shop to order?

Old 03-20-2017, 10:08 PM

swcr is on a distinguished road

I replied to your email, but have not received a response that you received it