The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default How Does This Look For a Rod Wrapper

FISHING ROD WRAPPER ROD BUILDING WRAPPING VERY NICE ! - eBay (item 320565046689 end time Aug-20-10 19:57:45 PDT)

The concept seems pretty good to me and it is not terribly expensive. If you all don't mind could you tell me what you think? This is even less expensive than some of the wooden ones with 2 thread stations made by Flex Coat, Pac Bay, etc.

Unfortunately I don't really have time to build one, because I promised my 83 year old mother I would do some handy man jobs for her some light electrical, install a couple new faucets, and a little landscaping at her . I want to get that done before my rod and stuff arrives so I can work on it and hopefully finish over a weekend. I don't want to just use a box with cut outs to build the actually rod even though I'm using one and wood dowel to practice wrapping some guides I happen to already have.

I'm going to start practicing wrapping on a wooden dowel today so that when my new rod and components arrives from Hook & Hackle I be ready.

One more quick question: I have a Flex Coat Rod Building Kit left over from a project I was going to build a couple years ago none of it has even been opened no seals broken should the adhesive and all still be good or does it go bad after a couple years and I need to buy new? Matter of fact I even have a some books and a VHF video that came with it all and thank goodness I still own a working VHF player.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How Does This Look For a Rod Wrapper

Looks like a good rig to me,

I ran my silk through a book to create thread tension on my first and held the blanks in two crude forked towers. In the 80s I got a wood rack similar to the one you are looking at but it is not as nice. I wouldn't let the old flex coat worry me but I might test a dab on some dowel rod prior to putting it on the rod.

This one looks like it should make the job pretty easy.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have one of these old Herter's wrappers,
Click the image to open in full size.
but most of the time I just sit in an arm chair with the thread spool between my legs, running the thread under my arse for tension.
I wrap right in front of my face, or on the arms of the chair.
On top of that, my drying motor isn't all that reliable so I usually hand turn for drying also

The last rod I made, I did while I was out of town. I took a cardboard box and cut a V into the two sides. Then used a fly tying bobbin for the thread with the bobbin 'neck' poked though a little hole in the back. You increase the tension with a couple of wraps of the thread around the bobbin 'leg'
Worked great.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 08-15-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Thank you Ard.

Rip you are too I get it! I'm going to get a wrapper anyway and the one above is cheaper than some of the wooden ones so I think I'm going to go for it unless someone can give me a good reason to believe it is not as good as it looks, before the seller gets back to me on a couple questions I've asked him.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: How Does This Look For a Rod Wrapper

...... just makin' sure you knew that there were other options...
Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 PM
bigredfly is on a distinguished road

It looks decent to me. My buddy wrapped his first rod with a home depot bought chicken rotisserie. Worked out pretty good.. Of course that was major budget status but made for a cool story! Doubled for drying to.

-Ben
Old 08-15-2010, 08:42 PM

Ben that is a good story! My question is does the rod smell like BBQ souce?LOL

Well I went a head and dropped the coin on that wrapper and for the additional for the Rod Dryer/Glue Mixer.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Tom, I don't think you can go wrong with that outfit; let us know how it works for you...

Dan
Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmonkey View Post
Unfortunately I don't really have time to build one, because I promised my 83 year old mother I would do some handy man jobs for her
That's why God gave us winters. Good luck!
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 10-08-2010, 09:27 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

i've just built another rod wrapper from one X's. that is from one by two and one by four pine lumber.
actually i used several kinds of lumber scraps i had in the shop, Oak, Osage Orange,Red Elm also

a little glue some screws and strips of leather or felt to line the cradles where the blank rotates

quarter inch bolts and springs for thread tension

seemed liked a pretty simple design because i made a wrapper 30 years ago almost of the same design.

wish i had a photo , it could explain everything

i know this is lame without images, but....
buzz