The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 04:00 PM

Brunner is on a distinguished road
Default Building from a Blank

What is the benefit of building a rod from a blank? Is it the price?

The TFO Pro rod is available in both methods and I was curious as to what would be the reasoning for not buying the complete rod. The rod is $149 with the blank being $74.

Thanks.

Brunner
Old 04-21-2008, 04:43 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Building from a Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunner View Post

The TFO Pro rod is available in both methods and I was curious as to what would be the reasoning for not buying the complete rod. The rod is $149 with the blank being $74.

Thanks.

Brunner
hi Brunner,
There isnt that much saving and if you add a modest labor charge, its cheaper to buy it---The satifaction is in the custom features and the quality components.
Mike
Old 04-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I would prefer a blank. In the name brands you are looking at a couple hundred savings and once you add in hardware, you are again close. I don't really consider labor, unless you are doing it professionally.
Why do I like them....I get them built for me and what I like. Custom cork in a size for my hand, single foot or snake guides. Reel seat, up lock, down lock or even rings.
It makes them part of you, and special. You can spend hundreds or less all in what you want. Reputable BLANKS however.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:58 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Ahhhh......nice rod - and there's that McFarland name again. Second time in a week I've run into it on this site! Apparently he's from this neck of the woods...MoJo told me to watch out for him on the waters I fish.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Getting to the point, his are the only blanks I will buy. Glass or Graphite...now just some wood would make it one stop shopping LOL.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunner View Post

Thanks.

Brunner
Hi Brunner,

Building rods takes some investment if you are going to do it regularly. It is not just the cost of the blank. You need glues, epoxies, threads, guides, reel seats, a book, a wrapping station and a drying motor. If somebody wants to try building a rod just for fun your best bet is one of the kits that includes everything you need to make one rod. To wrap a TFO Pro as a first rod you can do it with not too much cost. You can use a card board box to hold the rod for wrapping. You can rig a single thread holder and have at it. If you don't have a drying motor you will probably have runs in the finish on your thread wraps. The quality of your first rod may not be the best but you will have fun doing it and the rod will catch fish.

As to cost savings. You won't realize much or any savings with a TFO rod but if you buy one of the top line rods you could save hundreds of dollars.

Frank
Old 04-22-2008, 09:17 PM

Brunner is on a distinguished road

Thanks Frank! I think I might continue working of flies before I tackle that project. Maybe next fall.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:46 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought about building from a TFO Pro blank. The factory built rod is $150,
and the blank is $75. I'd take the $75 difference, and buy a really nice reel seat, handle, and some Recoil Ti guides. I fished in some really cold weather
this past winter, and found that my Ti guides hold very little ice compared to
regular chrome.....VERY little. Even with epoxy and thread, a nice rod could be built for the price of a factory Pro.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:20 PM

atlaw will become famous soon enoughatlaw will become famous soon enough
Re: Building from a Blank

Gotta say, building rods is fun. I just finished a TFO and have done several others. I bought all the rod making supplies after the second one. It's not the savings, it's having something you made. And when I gave one I made to my son this Christmas it didn't matter what the cost was.
Now it's time to build another Kentucky, maybe a .36 this time...
Old 05-08-2008, 04:19 PM

TnTom is on a distinguished road

Check out rodbuilders.com, its a vault of info.
I like to look at the top end rods in the sporting goods stores and it amazes me the **** thats getting passed off as "top end". Dont get me wrong as I see some really well made rods to.
There is a trillion blanks to pick from. Cheap to big bucks. There are no limits to the options.
A big part of building your own is the creativity and art part of it. You have control over such things as the quality of the wrap you make and how well the apoxy goes on clearity and "shape" . (look at some expensive rods and see how many have apoxy that look like "footballs" and have a $300 price tag on it.
You can control and improve casting distance, balance, action and end up with a rod that you are really comfortable with and it makes a big different when that fly or lure lands right on target. You have that power. It doesnt happen with the first one you build but each gets closer to the MAGIC that your looking for.
Just dont look at it totally as a cost thing theres so much more to it.
Tom
I maybe invested $100 or so in making my rod holder and drying unit.