It ain't off the rack for sure.

mojo

Reaction score
Can you get this off the shelf? Ok, I've got a couple rods I'm in the process of building now. One is a honey 'glass Lamiglas 4w 7'6" 2pc.

The other is a Mike McFarland blank- 4w 7'9" 4 pc. glass also. This one is going to be raffled off at the 2nd Annual Wasatch Fly Tying Expo on May 2 and 3. I put the Lami off until I finish the McFarland.
I like glass and cane. It kind of brings you down to earth when you fish them.
Very capable of landing just about anything. Mike along with Mark Steffan (Steffan Brothers) is a legend among 'glass afficinados. Anyway, the Lami has a cigar grip, wound in rattan. Walnut downlocking nickle silver sliding band hardware. The winding thread will be (as is the thread on the McF) a verigated black and orange. On the McFarland, the blank is a dark reddish brown. I have a maple burled insert with nickle silver wedding band hardware, a cigar grip wound with burnt rattan, silver winding check and an orange/red agate stripping guide. Snake Brand snake guides and tip top. The orange and black verigated thread will have a black tip on them.
The McFarland is waiting for the cork grip. The guys I got it from forgot to ship it. I modify it, glue on rattan, wind a red or whatever color thread inbetween the rattan.
Here's the McFarland so far. I have a little ways to go.

Starting the winding of the stripper guide.

The female ferrule end.

This is a grip I dumped. I didn't like the way it turned out so I got rid of it but it gives you an idea about the style of grip with the reel seat.
I have more on other rods I built for Joni and myself, but we'll leave that for another thread.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Mojo,
That 'Rattan' is crazy cool!

How in the world do you start and finish it? I've never anything like that.

FlyGal

Reaction score
Beauties, I admire those grips. What's going on just above the grip in your last pic?

mojo

Reaction score
Beauties, I admire those grips. What's going on just above the grip in your last pic?
FlyGal- I'm sorry, I guess I'm not sure what you mean.

fyshstykr- Ancient Chinese secret!

FlyGal

Reaction score
Is that a drill bit at the rod side of your grip in the last picture?

mojo

Reaction score
Is that a drill bit at the rod side of your grip in the last picture?
Yes it is. That's how I turn down the grip (sand it) to the shape I want. It's 12" long. Drill bits are the straightest steel I've found without spending a fortune on a mandrel. Put it in the drill motor and away you go.
A little masking tape around it and it stays no problem.
Thanks FrankB2 and all. I'll send pictures when I finish the new rod. I ordered some guides and grip from Jo***y's Pond, got the stuff a week later but no grip. I called and the gal said what model, I told her the part # and style- cigar grip. She sent it out that day. I got it yesterday and it was a damn half wells inletted grip. I was more than pissed. Made a few calls to some local shops and struck out. Joni said to call High Country FF and I told her no one carries a cigar grip. It's old school. She called and guess what.
The guy said he had one on the shelf that's been sitting there for about 8 years. Come on down and get it. Sanded the grip to what I wanted and wrapped the rattan.
Pics to follow.