Help Me Decide

christianfishn

Reaction score
I have built a few rods now. My first was a forecast 6'6 2wt that i love and have caught thousands of brook trout on it at this point. It was my first build and I kind of want to retire it at this point before I break it etc. I also feel like now with a number under my belt i can put together an even more fitting rod. I am tossing up three options and not sure i would be going wrong with any of them.
I will be using a full cork and ring grip and seat and want to keep it delicate for the mountain streams and pond fishing I get into.
I could:
Try out the rx7 6'6 2wt... Im worried it will be too stiff and the cost doesn't translate to any benefits. Has anyone built on this blank or has ccs data on it? I have both 2 and 3wt line i could put on it.

Build a Blue halo 3wt glass rod. Ive always been fascinated by the glass rods and i think it would work for me as an awesome freestone mountain stream rod. any experience with theses?

Build another rx6 6'6 2wt... pretty much know what im getting with this one!

Anyone have any input on these blanks? thanks

ravenbc

Reaction score
Go with a glass rod. Myself and a few buddies have built a cheap glass 6.6ft 3wt and love them for small streams and even lakes with smallish fish.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

zjory

Reaction score
I have a Blue Halo 3 weight. I use it for all the high country and small water fishing I do. It's an awesome rod. They're slow as can be, but still have some backbone. It will throw a small thin mint without a problem. The colors also look great. I have a custom build on the jade blank.

christianfishn

Reaction score
I like the idea of glass... and I like slow actions, i just want it to have a little bit of a$$ at the same time. I fear the blue halo might leave me a little too noodly. Any other glass recommendations that I should look into? I want to avoid the cheap Chinese blanks that have butt sections over 0.38 and a 7' +/- 3wt is what I would like.
hmmmmmm

zjory

Reaction score
I like the idea of glass... and I like slow actions, i just want it to have a little bit of a$$ at the same time. I fear the blue halo might leave me a little too noodly. Any other glass recommendations that I should look into? I want to avoid the cheap Chinese blanks that have butt sections over 0.38 and a 7' +/- 3wt is what I would like.

hmmmmmm

Blue Halos are noodly as ****, which I love. But if you are not into noodly, you should look elsewhere. Epics are "fast glass", but considerably more expensive.

christianfishn

Reaction score
They seem like it from what ive heard, its cool that there is that option out there but probably not what I need to replace my beloved 6'6 2wt... i think the epics are a little too fast for what i want. Anyone built on a Riffle blank? if not i could maybe stretch for a steffan...

el jefe

Reaction score
I built a RX7 6'6" 2-weight, in the four piece. (In fact, I have been trying to sell it, because I am trying to acquire some other rods, and the Household Business Manager requires certain trade-offs. It is in limbo right now, with some question as to whether I will sell it.) Anyway, it's a fun little rod. The RX7 is med-fast to fast, but appropriately so for a 2-weight. Overlined with a 3-weight line, it relaxes it nicely for small stream work, if you want to. I like the fast-ish action of it, to help me put flies under branches and into tight spots. I haven't done any CCS data on it, so I can't help you there.

pnc

Reaction score
For that weight rod. I would go glass. Two reasons.... fun & more.fun. Oh, yes be harder to break also.
Some glass blanks are now being made with graphite in tip section. Helps speed things up..... some. More like aldent'e than wet noodle.

....... pc

christianfishn

Reaction score
Because I have the itch to build something I have an rx7 blank on the way. Ive also committed to start saving for a steffan bros glass blank...

skcwolfgang

Reaction score
I have owned a few softer glass rods rated for 2 and 3 wt line, and ended up selling them. Everyone has their own preferences. I would go with a Steffen(8’4wt), Orvis 764 glass (you can buy the blanks for $200 from Orvis) or a kabuto (he is taking orders on the fiberglass forum). I would buy a blank one line rating above what I would buy in graphite, as I have found softer glass rods to fish lighter.