The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: YouTube Rod Building Videos & My Current Progress

Thanks for clearing that up John McNerney...lol jk

Nice too meet you John and I've read some of McNerney's a.k.a Larry's replies.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

9/4/2010 Well today I figured I'd have all my guides wrapped, but so far I figured wrong. I'm discovering that a rod blank at list in my hands a completely different animal from a wooden dowel. The wooden dowel was a piece of cake, but for some reason after I finish a wrap by useing a little little loop to pull the tread back through when I try to smooth everything out again or tighten it up the &%^$ing thread comes loose and unravels. Is there something I'm doing wrong. I've been hours redoing over and over...

I'm not ready to I give up, because feel confident can do thi ws and once I figure out what I'm doing wrong I'm sure it will be become simple.

Help please anyone who knows what I'm doing wrong.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tom,
It sounds like your blank is not getting enough bite (grab & hold) on the thread, it could be either the first few wraps that secure the thread when you start, or the final wraps that you pull the tag end back under. I would try adding a couple more turns on each end. I usually go with 5-6.
A wooden dowel is great to practice with, but it is different than a rod blank in that the raw unfinished wood will bite the thread better than the slick finish on a blank.
Another thought is that maybe your thread tension may need to be just a bit tighter.

It does get easier with time. It can/will make a calm person swear too!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-05-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh' View Post
It can/will make a calm person swear too!
Ya I wouldn't know about that. LOL

I haven't exactly figured out what I was doing wrong, but I've started takening a couple extra wraps on each end and pulling the thread through more slowly and so far its going much better.

I'll give a more official progress report later. I have a few more wraps to do. I have given up on doing the thread inlay trim for this build though I think. I could change my mind though.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:33 PM

9/6/2010 Today everything went much better. I figured out I was not making my wraps tight enough and to not pull the thread through right next to the guides. There is a small space next to the guides and the thread does not get pinched against the blank so it comes loose easily.

Last edited by FlyBum; 09-11-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:20 AM

I'm very excited the plan for tomorrow is to apply CP and then the first coat of finish. Then Sunday Morning the second and last coat.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:16 PM

9/11/2010 Well I'm happy to say that I just finished put my second coat of Flexcoat Lite on all my wraps and so far it appears I've by the grace of God managed to not get bubbles in my finish. I ended up going without thread in lay trim. and just using one solid color this time. I can hardly wait till its dry tomorrow.

I have learned many things my wraps have gotten much better.

I am already planning my next build with the intention of it being a 10' 4wt Czech Nymphing rod or Dan Craft or a 10' 4" 4wt from Hook & Hackle. I'm confident my next build will go much more smoothly.

When this current built is is all dry I'll try to take some good clear pics to place at the end of this thread.

One question how long does it take at about 80 degrees for Flexcoat to completely cure.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

By late this afternoon you ought to be able to give 'er a go on the lawn. Normally as long as you get your mix right the wraps should be dry to the touch in about 10-12 hours, but I'd give it a full 24 before putting a line on it.

Glad to see you finished it up.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

LOL on the time for the finish to cure! We easily have the 80 - 100 degrees outside ... but also have the 100% humidity!! Depending on the humidity .... anywhere from 12 to 48 hours!!

Missed out on a good bit of your build. We were in Wyoming's Big Horns. No phone, no internet, no computers, lots of fishing, lots of moose ... gawd it doesn't get much close to heaven!!!!

Anxious to see your pictures!!