The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default YouTube Rod Building Videos & My Current Progress

Someone going to FlyRodFanatic on has a 22 Part Series on YouTube on Fly Rod Building... YouTube - FlyrodFanatic's Channel

Fortunately the jobs my mother asked me to complete on her house were all more simple than I thought they would end up so I finished them already. However it was nice to spend several hours with her, plus my daughter came over and we all had lunch together.

Upon Ron and Hook & Hackle's (H&H) commendation I ended up choose one of H&H's Xi blanks that was on a nice sale price last weekend and some real nice components. A Limited Edition REC nickel silver reel seat with cocobolo wood insert, H&H titanium stripper and snake guide kit, and H&H Titanium Tip Top, and a H&H chrome hook keeper. The blank is a nice dark green. I had several colors of thread already light green, red, black, and gold. I wish I had silver thread. Then I would attempt to use the light green as the main wrapping color with a red trimmed with silver trim ring. This is my first rod, but I think I'm going to attempt trim rings anyway. I will be using FlexCoat Lite on the wraps and planning on 2 coats.

8/20/10 Last Evening I found the spine (I hope) in all 4 sections of my blank and marked it in numerous places down the each section with a china marker.

8/21/10 As of today after building arbors from fiberglass drywall tape I have epoxied my reel seat wood insert in place with Rod Bond and tomorrow I will epoxy the threads and butt cap in place.

I'm really chomping at the bit to do more... I have a very good feeling that I will be able to do a respectable job on this project, even though its my first attempt at rod building.

8/22/10 Installed the nickel silver threads and butt cap today.

The reel seat looks sweet on the rod.

All comments and suggestions especially from experienced rod builders will be much appreciated!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 08-22-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default Re: YouTube Rod Building Videos & My Current Progress

Do I dare ask?? How's the build coming??
Old 08-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tom,

Auntie Em is correct, how are you doing with your build. Have you been practicing wraps on a wooden dowel? That will make your wraps better on the rod.

Frank
Old 08-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Frank & Auntie thanks so much for checking in.

It is coming well, but slowly, because I have had a couple completlety unrelated and unexpected things come up recently. One of which is my son is moving back home instead of moving to Louisiana with his mother, which is a very good thing on so many levels. That also means I've got my fishing partner back too!

Yes I have practiced with a dowell, but I'll probably do some more before starting the wraps on the blank.

Tonight if everything goes as planned I will glue the cork to the rod.

I'm also still waiting for my rod wrapper and dryer to arrive.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 PM

8/25/10 Glued my cork handle on tonight and that went smoothly.

I will have to file the nickel silver winding check before it will fit and I think I'm going have to buy a different file then the my current rat tail so it doesn't take forever or purhaps a variable speed dremmel tool that way I could use the dremmel to also polish the inside of the check to avoid scratching the blank.

Also before building another rod after this ones finished I think I'm going to buy a "dream reamer" in hopes hit will ream out the cork faster, because with my rat tail file it took 2 hours and it is a brand new rat tail file that has never been used on anything else so its not worn down.

If anyone has tips or other suggestions for the above process I'd be very appreciative.

Last edited by FlyBum; 09-01-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:05 PM

8/27/10 My new Ebay rod wrapper and dryer arrived today... I've been practicing with my dow rod on it and wrapping on this thing is a million times easier and faster than with the dow rod in a notched box. I'm sooooo glad I made the investment. That dark rod sock near the window is holding my blank with the handle attatched just waiting to be finished.

Click the image to open in full size.

I can't finish my rod though, because I'm waiting for new winding check in the right size, because some how I scratched up the finish on the nickel silver one that Hook & Hackle sent me while trying to ream it out.

Actually I know why it happened, I was holding it with a pair of needle nose pliers that I had covered the working surface with shrink wrap both sides but band the band turned and broke the protective covering and got scratched by the metal real bad.

Oh well you live and learn!

This would have been the perfect weekend to finish the rod, because of furloughs I'm off today-sunday!

At least now I know without a doubt I love rod building and will soon be addicted.

When this one is finished I just might build a Switch Rod next and then take casting lessons from Jeff Putnam since he's right here in sacramento. Jeff Putnam's Fly Fishing Schools

So anyway the build itself over all is going smoothly and I'm very excited if you all couldn't tell...

Last edited by FlyBum; 09-01-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tom,
The 'dream reamers' are very nice and would surely help speed up the process. Have you considered making your own?

Another thought is to put the rat tail file in a cordless drill, take it easy though and apply pressure evenly while letting the handle rotate on the file or you can end up with an out of round hole. "Been there done that" lol!

That is a very nice looking rod wrapper!

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 09-01-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh' View Post
Hi Tom,
The 'dream reamers' are very nice and would surely help speed up the process. Have you considered making your own?

Another thought is to put the rat tail file in a cordless drill, take it easy though and apply pressure evenly while letting the handle rotate on the file or you can end up with an out of round hole. "Been there done that" lol!

That is a very nice looking rod wrapper!
Hi Larry: I've considered making my own if only I had a broken rod piece I could use. I may just get the dream reamer, but then again over at AcidRod's web site I also saw some new drill bits that I think Batson came out with that would make short work of reaming cork.

I'm home sick today with some kind of nasty stomach bug so I decided to checkout your web site. If I had known what it was I'd have gone there sooner. Thats some fine pick'n. I'm still listening and I think I'll likely buy a few of your CD's in the near future.

I'm hoping my replacement winding check will arrive today so perhaps between trips to... I could work on finishing the rod.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh' View Post
Hi Tom,

I did that once myself. Took a single minute to ream it out, and then about 20 more to fix it
Old 09-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmonkey View Post
Hi Larry:

Lol! actually my name is John, but I'll answer to most anything.
McNerney is Larry. He's a good guy and a lot of fun to fish with, I'm much more handsom than he is.

I'm home sick today with some kind of nasty stomach bug so I decided to checkout your web site. If I had known what it was I'd have gone there sooner. Thats some fine pick'n. I'm still listening and I think I'll likely buy a few of your CD's in the near future.
Good to see other's becoming aware of Larry Keel. We see him once a year, usually in Island Park @ the Trouthunter. The man is an amazing picker!!

Somehow I added the statement above into your quote. oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I did that once myself. Took a single minute to ream it out, and then about 20 more to fix it
It only takes once to figure it out huh!
Once you figure out how to roll the cork around the file(while spinning) it's pretty easy to do without buggering it up.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."