The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Rod Making Classes

Hi to all,

If anyone wants to get a head start on rod building, I suggest you take a short course. For our Florida friends there are classes given by Mudhole in Oviedo, Florida. They have three day schools that introduce you to rod building. You will make a 6'6" spinning rod. The rod and all materials are included in the class price. It is a good deal for the money.

Now I know you would rather build a fly rod. With the techniques you learn in the school you will be able to go home and build a fly rod.

Oviedo is East of Orlando. I have not attended this school and anyone interested should contact Mudhole and talk to them before signing up.

Frank
Old 04-28-2008, 12:05 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rod Making Classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
If anyone wants to get a head start on rod building, I suggest you take a short course.
For those in the Delaware, NE Maryland, SE Pennsylvania, or SW New Jersey area, White Clay Outfitters (Newark, DE) offers 4 week/1 night per week rod building classes on a regular basis. You may build whatever rod you wish and you select whatever components you wish (rod blank, reel seat, grip, guides, "bling", etc.). The gentleman who conducts the course is Ken Prager, a local custom rod builder.

rod and custom rods fly fishing Delaware fishing custom fishing rods

I have no financial link or other interest in WCO other than being a customer and twice participant in the rod building classes (and signed up for class #3 this June).