The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default custom build

awesome the new ROD BUILDING FORUM!!!
my buddy steve from midwestcustomflyrods.com built me a new rod that I have posted about in other threads. well here is the finished rod! he is great at building rods. his awesome work inspires me to maybe try to learn to build me my very own built rod one day. hopefully we can get this part of the forum off the ground with tips and all that so we can get the basics down!
here is the rod. its a 9ft 2pc custom built matrix rod for steelhead. its medium/fast.
it has a fighting butt, Blank is the black and grey Matrix 907-2, Used an American tackle A16 Window style reel seat, full wells grip and large rounded fighting butt. Black main wraps with inner, outer, and mid single turn trim bands round out the wraps. Some custom printed decals with myname placed in the opening of the window seat coated with a super thin coat of finish to protect it. also reel in the pic isn't mine mine will be the orvis battenkill mid arbor. also some black and silver trim wraps on the rear hood to help tie the whole "Mechanical" theme of the rod together. Single turn silver trim at 25" and again directly under the stripper at 30" serve as measuring marks and a spiral over wrap on the ferule finish up the "industrial" look I was going for with this rod. Couple custom printed decal such as the "Matrix" decal finish up the look of the rod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00anewrod!1.jpg (23.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 00anewrod!2.jpg (31.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 00anewrod3.jpg (27.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 00anewrod5.jpg (34.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 00anewrod6.jpg (24.7 KB, 40 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: custom build

Nice looking rod; just curious.....what reel are you showing in the picture?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:07 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

not sure? steve sent me the pix. its on its way here. he was just showing what it looks like with a titanium reel like the battenkill I have for it.. have seen him post it earlier with a pleugler trion reel but don't knwo if this is the same reel as before. I will ask him.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:45 PM

it is the pleugler trion.