The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 AM

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gary Loomis and North Fork Composites.

I've been a long time fan of the 'original' Gary Loomis rods/blanks manufactured pre-Shimano, and I'm very happy to see him back producing blanks for the custom rod builder. North Fork Composites - Freshwater and Saltwater Rod Blanks Designed by Gary Loomis

I've only recently heard about his new company and was wondering if anyone here has had a chance to see or build on one of his new blanks yet??
Old 10-21-2016, 11:57 AM

ivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to all
Default Re: Gary Loomis and North Fork Composites.

It's been a while but I am wondering the same question. Anybody get into one of these yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I have 2 or 3 Kistler Bass casting rods using a North Fork Composites blank. They are great light weight rods with high sensitivity. My favorite casting rods. Sensitivity is important in a casting rod and these do excel.

I was never a fan of the early Gary Loomis fly rods. Preferred the Sage rods.

Frank
Idahoflyfishmn likes this.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:09 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

This rather surprised me:

Only US distributor:

--Batson Enterprises Exclusive Distributor--
Batson Enterprises
130 Harrison Suite 8

Sequim, WA 98382
Old 10-21-2016, 06:23 PM

moucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud of

He is now offering a new line of "Edge" brand fly rods built on North Fork blanks and distributed through TFO.

They aren't listed yet on the TFO website or his own website ( Edge ), but some fly shops are starting to carry them: https://www.bearsden.com/page397.html
Old 10-21-2016, 06:26 PM

ivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to allivory arrow is a name known to all
Default Gary Loomis and North Fork Composites.

Yeah I know, that surprised me a lot.

I did a little (and I do mean little) bit of research and found that Shimano bought G.Loomis rod company many years ago and that the original designer has had very little to do with them for quite some time. They have in fact sued him in 3 different times that he has tried to open new fly rod companies.

He now has Epic fly rods,
Which only offer a few models, and the NFC composite blanks, which only offer a few models.

It is very interesting to me. He describes it as a general purpose classic trout rod.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:29 PM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
This rather surprised me:

Only US distributor:

--Batson Enterprises Exclusive Distributor--
Batson Enterprises
130 Harrison Suite 8

Sequim, WA 98382
I saw that two years ago when I shopped for my first blank to build. I wondered if it was a Loomis design and a Batson build. Probably just a joint business endeavor. Loomis is unlikely to make a nationwide attempt to undercut their flagship line. I don't think you will see economy Loomis in fly shops anytime soon.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:37 PM

Hirdy will become famous soon enoughHirdy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivory arrow View Post
He now has Epic fly rods,
Which only offer a few models, and the NFC composite blanks, which only offer a few models.
Guessing this is a typo. Gary Loomis has nothing to do with Epic fly rods, which are mainly glass rods/blanks produced by Carl McNeil in New Zealand.

Cheers,
Graeme
sweetandsalt likes this.

(Formerly known as Kalgrm)
Old 10-21-2016, 10:08 PM

Whoops, yes that was a typo. It is "Edge" rods.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:34 AM

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I saw that two years ago when I shopped for my first blank to build. I wondered if it was a Loomis design and a Batson build. Probably just a joint business endeavor. Loomis is unlikely to make a nationwide attempt to undercut their flagship line. I don't think you will see economy Loomis in fly shops anytime soon.
Maybe my coffee has yet to kick in fully and I'm misunderstanding the statement, but just in case I wanted to clarify. Gary loomis of North fork Composites has nothing to do with the large commercial brand that still carries his name which is owned by Shimano, infact I would dare say that he would undercut the heck out of them if it were possible.
coug and ia_trouter like this.