The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 AM

jasalvas will become famous soon enough
Default building my own switch rod

I saw a switch rod building kit online. It was a Sage z axis I think... Anyway it was a blank and came with a kit with eyes and handles. I think it was selling for about $350 or so. How difficult would it be for someone (me) to put the rod together with no previous experience?

Thanks

Jason
Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 AM

Rifleman1776 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: building my own switch rod

What is a "switch rod"?
BTW, why do the kits cost as much or more than a ready made rod?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 AM

A switch rod is a 11 foot rod that is light enough to like a one handed, but in all other ways is a spey rod. It has the long butt grip like a spey. It is good for high sticking, all types of spey casting, and is, just a short, light spey rod.

I saw the same model rod for sale for $489. So there it would save me over $100. And it would be kind of cool to cast and catch fish with something i helped to construct
Anyway, this would be my first rod "building" project. and not sure what to expect.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I'm on my first rod build and so far its a piece of cake and I'd be finished by now if one of my suppliers hadn't sent wrong parts. I'm of the opinion, but I'm obviously very inexperienced you can likely purchase just as good a blank and components as that Sage kit for a lot less. I'm not naming the supplier that sent the wrong parts, because I think my case is likely an anomaly since the place has such a great reputation and I will definitely be back.

Hopefully AuntieM and some other experienced rod builders will answer your thread.

I have a thread I started here regarding my rod build and it includes a link to the YouTube videos I'm following to build my current rod. Here's the link if you are interested YouTube Rod Building Videos & My Current Progress.

Good luck... if you decide to build your own I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

I've been consider either a Switch Rod or a 10' Czech Nymphing Rod for my next build which I'll likely start soon as the correct parts arrive and I finish my first build.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Thanks FM,
I think I will start the build soon. I would like to be fishing it by Nov. I will definately check out that video. Im on youtube all the time watching fishing videos, I have seen some bamboo making vids, but nothing yet for graphite. Thanks again for your reply! I hope you get your parts soon and finish so we can see the finish product!

What are you building now?
Old 09-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasalvas View Post
Thanks FM,
I think I will start the build soon. I would like to be fishing it by Nov. I will definately check out that video. Im on youtube all the time watching fishing videos, I have seen some bamboo making vids, but nothing yet for graphite. Thanks again for your reply! I hope you get your parts soon and finish so we can see the finish product!

What are you building now?
I'm building a Hook & Hackle Xi 9' 4wt blank, with a REC Nickel Silver Reel Seat with a Cocobolo insert, Hook & Hackle's highest grade half wells cork grip, titanium stripper guides, titanium snake guides, and titanium Tip Top, titanium winding check, and titanium strap & hoop style hook keeper.

Speaking of my parts they arrived about 1/2 hour ago, but today it seems I've gotten some kind of a severe stomach ailment that is really kicking my... literally.

If I feel better later I'll probably work towards finishing sometime today.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:48 PM

Great!! Good to hear you received your parts, sucks about the gut though. So would I be able to build a rod without any special equipment? I watched part of that video on your thread, I wouldn't have any equipment. What do you think?
Do you have rod making equipment?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Great!! Good to hear you received your parts, sucks about the gut though. So would I be able to build a rod without any special equipment? I watched part of that video on your thread, I wouldn't have any equipment. What do you think?
I don't use any special equipment as I said here
How Does This Look For a Rod Wrapper
Old 09-01-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I don't use any special equipment as I said here
How Does This Look For a Rod Wrapper
As Rip said no special equipment is necessary! However, y es I have a rod wrapper and dryer I purchased on Ebay for under $100 bucks.

I suggest doing like I have. Get a wooden dowel, a shoe box, and some and a dictionary similar book then practice making wraps. Take the lid off the shoe box and on each end of the box right in the middle at the top cut a V in the double over part of the box opposite each other. Lay dowel in the V cuts, put the book behind the box open the book about to the middle and run the the thread through the book this will provide tension, watch the video on wrapping guides, then wrap your brains out till you decide you think you can deal with wrapping guides on an actual rod. There is nothing difficult about, but some might find it too tedious. Wrapping the guides is the most difficult part of a basic rod build and I don't find it difficult at all, but practice will make it easy.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:29 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wrapping the guides is the most difficult part of a basic rod build
..... for me it's mixing and applying a good finish
guess you haven't gotten to that yet