The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   10' 3 and/or 4wt Blanks (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/44901-10-3-4wt-blanks.html)

Glen Wright 09-03-2010 12:02 AM

10' 3 and/or 4wt Blanks

I am already planning my next rod build which I would like to be a Czech Nymphing Rod. I have recently visited Steve Korbay's website and I believe I'm going to hire him to teach my son and I Czech Nymphing.

While on his site I learned of the Greys Steamflex 10' 3 & 4 wt rods. They are very moderately priced and Steve says they are the best Czech Nymphing rods he's ever fished.

I've contacted Greys to see if the have a U.S. distributer for just the blank and I'm waiting for an email back. In the mean time besides the Dan Craft that are like $170 Four Rivers rods I am wondering if any of you all know about others that are good quality, but are $100 or less.

Also would a cork reel seat look good with a full wells grip. I'm thinking about a cork reel seat for the weight savings on such a long rod.

oregonsteel 09-03-2010 02:28 AM

Re: 10' 3 and/or 4wt Blanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingmonkey (Post 132206)
I am already planning my next rod build which I would like to be a Czech Nymphing Rod. I have recently visited Steve Korbay's website and I believe I'm going to hire him to teach my son and I Czech Nymphing.

While on his site I learned of the Greys Steamflex 10' 3 & 4 wt rods. They are very moderately priced and Steve says they are the best Czech Nymphing rods he's ever fished.

I've contacted Greys to see if the have a U.S. distributer for just the blank and I'm waiting for an email back.

No need to wait for that email, they do have a distributor for the US,
HARDY USA 2010

Echo also has a 3 wt 10 foot czech nymph rod, do not know if they will sell just the blank.

The streamflex may be the rod "Steve" has ever cast, but it does not mean that the Echo Shadow will not be the best rod YOU will ever cast.

Rifleman1776 09-03-2010 07:51 AM

OK, so what is Czech nymphing? :confused:

Glen Wright 09-03-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rifleman1776 (Post 132264)
OK, so what is Czech nymphing?

Google it... there is an entire website CzechNymphs.com dedicated to Czech Nymphing and similar there are also several YouTube videos.

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by oregonsteel (Post 132223)
No need to wait for that email, they do have a distributor for the US, HARDY USA 2010 Contact: Jim Murphy, jmurphy@hardygreys.com. 888-516-1247 Echo also has a 3 wt 10 foot czech nymph rod, do not know if they will sell just the blank. The streamflex may be the rod "Steve" has ever cast, but it does not mean that the Echo Shadow will not be the best rod YOU will ever cast.

Thank you so much and you are right it is possible that I could like the Echo better. So I'll have to check with them as well and then see if I can find some way to fish both first.

hardhat 09-09-2010 05:52 PM

Give Dan at Dan Craft a call. He has several blanks that you would be able to choose from.

dean_mt 11-04-2012 03:33 PM

Tom, I am planning on building a 10' 3wt this winter and doing a lot of googling about rods and blanks. Same issue two years later...not a lot blanks available.

What did you end up finding. I've read some really positive reviews of the Sage ESN. I am leaning that way, though I'll have to wait a little longer to save a little more $$ as the blank is $350.

I am going to PM this in case you don't get this. But I'd like to hear from anyone else on the subject as well!

matkid 11-20-2012 09:03 PM

Hey guys
I am a new here but saw the post and figured i would put my two cents in. Pacbay has a line called quickline. They are fast rods but i just built the 10' 4wt and love it. The price is around $65 and well worth it. Hope it helps. Tight lines gents

dean_mt 11-20-2012 09:42 PM

Hey matkid, welcome to the forum! And thanks for info, I've yet to commit on a blank, I'll look into this.

brookfieldangler 11-20-2012 10:25 PM

Don't rule out the the MHX line and the rainshadows. Absolutely love both of them.