The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 06:57 AM

Offshore is on a distinguished road
Default NO Thredz... thread

Some will have seen my activity on the fly tying side of this forum... I've never ventured here before SO be gentle with me...

For those that know me in the fly tying side of the forum you'll know I designed & developed a UV acrylic called Bug-Bond... OK so what has this got to do with fishing rods... well a hell of a lot. I've developed a Tack-Free material to such an extent that I've been testing it on rod blanks here in the UK (for 12 months now)... and I now have some results that I'd like to share with you guys...

Now apart from playing around with it I have never built a rod in my life before... and I decided to build up a Harrison Advanced Rods Lohric blank 9' 9#. Using only Bug-Bond and a UV light I built up the rod in less than two hours (excluding handle - still have to epoxy that!!) and took it fishing an hour later... I had to have my lunch!!

So build time apart what is notable about this build?

Well... Hopefully the images speak for themselves... suffice to say with minimal tools and no turner this is what I achieved... I've caught fish on it to prove it can be done (16lb pike)... So in future a rod ring repair in say 5 minutes including prep and cure and ready to fish again... no long curing times!!

Very cute with no wraps and this stuff cures from 3.5 seconds... this isn't a mock up and can be substantiated by Steve Harrison...

So what do you guys think...?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

BUG_BOND