The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 07:08 PM

ckalanik is on a distinguished road
Default fly rod signature

Ive finally wrapped and finnished my first rod and now I want to add some writing above the grip but everything i try seams to smear when i go to add finish. how do u guys do it? thanx!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:00 PM

fishinbear43 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: fly rod signature

I sign it then let it dry a little bit & spray palyurathan on it let dry then coat it with the rod finish
Old 08-14-2008, 02:35 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i've read many people, among those who consider the final handwriting needs to compliment a finely made rod, will use india ink which is permanent. they will apply the ink through a rapidograph pen, which is a fine instrument available at art supply stores and used in the drafting/architectural industries. rapidographs, and others of that type, come in various widths. any pen used for handwriting requires practice and a steady hand to look neat when applied to a rod. on the otherhand, i've seen some gawdawful writing too, so it all depends on your priorities.

decalconnection.com also offers easily applied decals which can be transferred as a waterslide or dry depending on what you opt for and many different fonts can be used. i think they can also transfer handwriting into a decal too but check with them.

as an aside, they also offer 5-6 different styles of "alignment dots" available as decals too.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:11 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

My hand writing is very poor. Because of that I use model RR decals. The paper can be purchased for either ink jet or lazer jet paper. So now I do more than just signature and rod description.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:05 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Figure out where you want to put your sig, lay down a coat of thread epoxy/varnish or whatever you used for your thread. Let it dry and put your sig on it. Then give it another coat. I bought a Speedball calligraphy kit at Michaels and used the black and silver ink. I have pretty **** poor penmanship, but I just practiced on some broken rods and went for it. Different nibs for finer writing. Reason for laying down a coat of epoxy first? If you don't like it later, sand it off, and re-do it without messing up the blank.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:36 PM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Somewhere in the past...maybe 15 or 16 years ago I read/heard about a kind of tape from Scotch brand called 'Magic Tape' if I'm remembering correctly...and to put a sig and info on a blank, a piece of this 'Magic Tape' was cut from the roll with scissors (both ends) then placed on a clean piece of flat glass, written on, then peeled off the glass and placed on the blank.

Once the finish was applied, apparently the tape disappears. Kind of makes sense since white wrapping thread mostly disappears when the finish is applied. Could give it a try on a scrap.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose