The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 11:37 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Exclamation Rod Turner Ideas - please

Hi all.

A month ago a guide broke off my rod. It's a rod I built some years ago. I procrastinated with fixing it and with my big 3 day weekend of fishing planned here - this Thursday-Saturday - I finally wrapped the guide last night and stopped by my local shop to find they no longer have any turners! They used to have 3 or 4 but have been loaned out and never returned. Aside from what terrible form that is, I am in a major bind.

Of course I have a couple other rods, so I will fish, but either a 2WT or 6WT!

Anyone have a creative idea to keep my rod turning while the epoxy dries? (that does not mean I sit there with a six pack for 3 hours rotating my rod by hand )

I think I may just order Flex Coat's 50$ model and have it overnighted for another 15$...ugh, at least then I'll have it for this winter if I do around to making a new rod...

ideas welcome! Thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rod Turner Ideas - please

You are in a fix there, other than using a grill rotisserie I would have no suggestion. I have an ancient 3 rpm job that I got long ago, it has no rod chuck and I had to make one for it. Parting with the dough to ship one over night is a bummer but at least you'll have one.

We had a post from a member who says he has compounded a fast dry finish that gets it done in minutes but he's in Florida and you would still be waiting. Fast dry sounds good but having experience in the wood and furniture restoration business for many years I found fast dry to be a problem. The post he made with photos certainly made hes finish compound look like the best thing since sliced bread.

If you don't have a rotisserie, better price one at the nearest place that sells them and have a look to see if you can use it in a pinch. I suspect that size will be the main issue, then there's that how am I gonna attach a rod to this thing...................

Looks like overnight to me,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-04-2010, 01:09 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Ok, this is a stretch I know, but you wanted creative. And you can take this for what its worth since Im no rod builder and dont have the slightest idea what rpm you are looking for.
Use a thick rag to go around the appropriate end of your rod, then use a cordless drill. Im sure this goes without saying but only tighten enough to turn tge rod. then use something, either toothpicks, popscicle sticks, or something else entirely to make some sort of yoke. Level it up, set your speed with a piece of duct tape across your trigger and let her go.
I know this is about as jack-leg as you can get, but it would work in a pinch.
You gotta admit, its creative......

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 10-04-2010, 01:23 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
Ok, this is a stretch I know, but you wanted creative. And you can take this for what its worth since Im no rod builder and dont have the slightest idea what rpm you are looking for.
Use a thick rag to go around the appropriate end of your rod, then use a cordless drill. Im sure this goes without saying but only tighten enough to turn tge rod. then use something, either toothpicks, popscicle sticks, or something else entirely to make some sort of yoke. Level it up, set your speed with a piece of duct tape across your trigger and let her go.
I know this is about as jack-leg as you can get, but it would work in a pinch.
You gotta admit, its creative......
I think I've seen this done on the innernets! I mentioned this idea to my buddy at the fly shop and he gave me odd look. I bet the battery would on my cordless drill would run out at just about the right time too!

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I found a place in CA with the 7 rpm Flex Coat turner...I'm calling them now...
Old 10-04-2010, 01:29 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road

Take the little motor that turns the turn table out of your microwave. I actually took one out of an old unit and thats what I use. Just make sure its the right voltage. I took one out and it was 21v, and another was the right voltage to just plug it right in. I've built 5 rod on it and its perfect. I made a rod chuck out of a pvc cap.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 PM

UPS next day was gonna run $45! The wrapper is $49.90. I settled on two day for $19. I can swallow that. And it's only one guide, so hopefully I'll have that done in time to pick up my buddy at the airport Wednesday night, have a few beers and use the rod Thursday!

Wish me luck!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a turner
Cut 2 Vs in opposite ends of a cardboard box and lay the rod across it
Apply your finish and hand turn the rod
Turn it often at first.... you'll be able to see the finish sagging
Then every 8--10-- 15 minutes or so for a hour
That's it,
I have a rotisserie turner and never use it, preferring to do it by hand
Old 10-04-2010, 08:45 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Why not pay your local rod shop a few bucks to do it?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:16 PM

imxer, I gladly would have, but there aren't any shops here that do it. There is one shop that supplies rod building stuff and offers classes in the winter. That is the one I just assumed that I could borrow the turner from, like I have in the past, but they all got loaned out and never returned!

It's alright, now I'll have for the new rod I've been wanting to build...this winter's project.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:35 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

this may be a moot point now but rip tide's right, just cut some Vs opposite each other in a cardboard box (uhhh, open end up first) and hand turn the blank/rod as the thread finish sets. i've never done it but it's the basic method many have used over the decades.

eric
fresno, ca.