The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Single foot guide sizes for a 10wt?

I am considering building a 10wt, 9 ft fly rod. Any suggestions on single foot guide sizes and tip size? Planning on using silicon carbide so I need the ID.

I would also like some opinions on the rainshadow two-piece blanks.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:07 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Single foot guide sizes for a 10wt?

Nobody around on the weekend?
Old 10-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a chart
Custom Fly Rod Crafters Spacing Chart
Old 10-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Bigdog,

There are lots of people around but they may not know the answer to your question. We do have far less people on the weekends as most are fishing or spending family time.

Are you building a saltwater or freshwater rod? What single foot guides are you going to use?

Frank
Old 10-09-2010, 03:50 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Bigdog,
Rip has given you an excellent chart for your rod building. As far as the tip size, are you talking the loop opening? If so, with that heavy a rod, I'd go with at least a medium wire, medium loop. If you mean the size for the rod tip, you'll need to measure the actual tip of the rod. If I were building a 9' 10 # rod for my self, I'd use double footed guides.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:35 PM

The problem with the charts I have found (including the one indicated above) is that they give snake guide sizes. I plan on using Fuji single foot guides with silicon carbide rings so I need the ID ring diameters.
This rod will be for King Salmon in Alaska rivers (15-35#) next year.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:37 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

i dig what your sayin' Bigdog
single foot silicone are pricey but the best. i use s/f's on all my graphite rods.
no reason not to,
they facilitate shooting the line which is handy sometimes

i certainly would try to hook up with someone who builds your type rod and uses the single foot guides. BIG FISH ALASKA fishing all good
buzz