The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008, 07:59 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How do I clean the cork without damage?

use alcohal guenteed to keep her happy....
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 09-17-2008, 11:38 AM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

Ohhh, I get it now! This is a way to fix the issue at hand. I recommend a glass of merlot for her (and me for the suggestion), and some isopropyl for you, on a soft cloth rag, and scrub! I have cleaned one cork in my life and this is how I did it, minus the merlot.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Here is a different idea. I have never used one but I have thought about getting one just to test. The following is the description from The Fly Shop. If any one has used one or buys one let us know how it works.

Frank

Wonder Cloth
[7356]$3.50Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Click to enlarge Wet the Wonder Cloth and start rubbing some dirty old cork grip on a $660 fly rod and it'll look like new in minutes! The harder you scrub, the more dirt you'll remove. The results are immediate and the rod is like new again. $3.50 to re-finish the grip of an expensive rod! Our demo rods look like new, and we no longer have to shrink wrap the handles of our display rods to keep them clean. Then we started using the cloths on beat up fly lines, and fly reels, and everything else around us. Computer monitors come clean without damage to their surface. The Wonder Cloth has a positive ionic charge and attaches itself to dirt (dirt has a negative charge). The cloth is extremely absorbent and can be used to clean anything.
Re-Usable
Washable
13" X 13".
Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I will start with warm water. If that does not do the job I am in the rubbing alcohol corner. If the cork is in ruff shape I will use a fine grade of sandpaper.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
But I gotta tell ya... I never clean mine
One of my rods still has fish scales on the grip from the last time my grandfather used it, from way back in the early '60s

I'm with ya on this one Rip Tide, every fish I catch and handle leaves a bit of itself with me, so I like to call it "Fish Karma" and rub it into the cork of the rod used, and hope for continued good Fish Karma.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 10-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
My cork on my Scott is now a mess.. (long story)

So what is the best way to clean up the surface. Will 600 grit sandpaper work? Do I need to go with the grain (arnound) rather than against (lenght wise) on the rod?

Surely ghe rod building forum has a bunch of GURU's that know bunches on cleaning.

Thanks
Critter
If it is only dirty as in "Too Much Fish Slime" warm water and dish detergent will do nicely. I would not sand a cork unless I were trying to decrease the diameter of the handle.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:41 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Thanks All.. I don't have to buy my wife a new rod...

I can still get my new one now..

So the soft scrub, warm water, Dish soap and a little "Mule Team" borax did the trick. I didn't have cascade. I actually cleaned 3 rods.

And my wife liked how clean and soft my hands were after cleaning all the rods..

Thanks again.. Critter

PS... I am still tempted to order the "Wonder Cloth".
Old 10-05-2008, 11:40 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
Ok... The truth is I was lazy and grabbed my wife's rod and made it a mess (she is a fly fisher as well).. I am a guy she is a gal.. I don't care about the looks she does....
Hmmm.....the difference b/w you is not that "she is a gal," the difference is that "your gal" is a neatnik!

I'm a gal and I think dried fish slime/grime on a cork handle adds character to the fly rod!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:21 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Frank

Ordered a "Wondercloth"; works well on the guides, blank etc, as well as the cork. Not sure it is any better than any of the other methods posted but it is convenient & would be easy to carry among your equipment on longer trips.
Seems like a good item for keeping reels clean as well. They also recommend it for impregnated fly lines , IMHO that alone makes it worth the cost.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:45 PM

WANTONJ is on a distinguished road
Re: How do I clean the cork without damage?

Shorthaul is right , use dish washer detergent or liquid hand soap by hand,the cork will become clean and bright.
have a good and safe day.
Captain Wayne Valley Fire Service, Valley Springs Calif.