The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 11:59 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default How do I clean the cork without damage?

My cork on my Scott is now a mess.. (long story)

So what is the best way to clean up the surface. Will 600 grit sandpaper work? Do I need to go with the grain (arnound) rather than against (lenght wise) on the rod?

Surely ghe rod building forum has a bunch of GURU's that know bunches on cleaning.

Thanks
Critter
Old 09-14-2008, 01:02 PM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How do I clean the cork without damage?

Hi
Sugar soap and fine grade wire wool, it works a treat!
Cheers
Richard
Old 09-14-2008, 01:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The recommended treatment is Soft Scrub
The same stuff you'd use in the kitchen

But I gotta tell ya... I never clean mine
One of my rods still has fish scales on the grip from the last time my grandfather used it, from way back in the early '60s
Old 09-14-2008, 03:41 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
...But I gotta tell ya... I never clean mine
One of my rods still has fish scales on the grip from the last time my grandfather used it, from way back in the early '60s
Something smells funny in this thread. Oh! Here comes Rip tide
Old 09-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I want to comment about the use of steel wool on a grip. My comments don't come from knowing how to clean grips but from making custom rifle stocks. I would think steel wool is a bad choice. Small pieces may embed its self into the cork. Over time the steel wool will rust and cause discoloration in the cork. If you want to use steel wool use brass wool. It will clean well but any fragments left in the grip will not rust.

This is just an opinion and may be way off. I do know that in a gun stock this can happen.

Frank
Old 09-14-2008, 08:54 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Wet the grip with warm water and sprinkle a few crystals of Cascade dishwasher detergent and rub it in with your hand, rinse with warm water and dry---grip looks new and your hand comes out clean too!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:26 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i use soft scrub with one of those kitchen sponges which has the scrubber on one side. rub gently using scrubber side.... uhhh, lengthwise. a towel to partially dry, set aside.

if that doesn't do enough for you, you could try gently sanding with 400-600 grit sand paper.

eric
fresno,ca.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:41 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

Why do you want to clean your cork? With the funk on it, the rod is YOURS, used well, and has caught fish. You can prove it too, by looking at that grip...Just my opinion, but I would rather see dirty cork on a rod than clean cork.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

try rubbing alcohal and a soft cloth, brings out the soft texture on cork..also wont hurt the sealer if it has it..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflingerandy View Post
Why do you want to clean your cork? With the funk on it, the rod is YOURS, used well, and has caught fish. You can prove it too, by looking at that grip...Just my opinion, but I would rather see dirty cork on a rod than clean cork.
Ok... The truth is I was lazy and grabbed my wife's rod and made it a mess (she is a fly fisher as well).. I am a guy she is a gal.. I don't care about the looks she does.... If I don't clean it up I owe her a new rod and hopefully a reduced week sleeping out in the camper.. If I was going to buy a new rod I would do it for me.. :^)

Critter...

PS.. thanks for all the input. I will try the cleaning on an old one first.... Then her's. I will update everybody on my sucesses.. and if I can sleep back in the house...