The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 10:05 AM

tommym is on a distinguished road
Default Vintage bamboo fly rod

Hello
I just picked up bamboo fly rod by Union Hardware Co. from my research I found that it was made between 1920 and 1930 . Now ,it is in fair shape no cracks or dents in the bamboo it self , just varnish is peeling off , I want to use this rod again , is it worth to restore and "destroy" its historic value or should I just leave it the way it is because its so old and it may crack during fishing due to weaknesses in bamboo ?
Thanks
Old 10-13-2010, 10:57 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vintage bamboo fly rod

That rod really doesn't have any 'historic value" and most likely the integrity of the cane is fine.
As far as I know, the majority of Union Hardware rods were made by Montague and yours is probably post WWII
Check for any delamination of the strips and the condition of the ferrules, then take the finish down with some turpintine and give it a few coats of spar varnish.
Then go fishing
Old 10-13-2010, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the info , well I guess I will restore it then . I think I will replace ferrules as well , but how do I take them off the cane ? I have no experience on replacing ferrules especially on a bamboo rod , I dont want to break the rod.Do you have any suggestions how to do it ? I would really appreciate any advice on this.
Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Tom,

Lots of the old rods have pinned ferrules. Remove the old silks and clean the rod where the metal meets the wood. Have a look with a magnifier to see if there is a tiny brass pin driven through the rod to hold the ferrules on. If there are pins I have had some luck at driving them out but have also had to "very gingerly" cut the ferrules off using a Dremel tool and then pull the pins.

Do you have two tips with this rod? This is important but not a prerequisite for restoration.

As for replacing the old joints with new Super Z units, be sure to keep the old ferrules because you may need to send them to the supplier of the new ones to get a match.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-13-2010, 02:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with the ferrules that has you wanting to change them?
I wouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary... (split, smashed)
Most often they just need a cleaning
Old 10-13-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Do you have two tips with this rod? This is important but not a prerequisite for restoration.
I dont have a spare tip for this rod , I bought it at "antique shop" or actually more like "everything junk shop" , I found it under a pile of very old clothes , about 2" of dust and 1000 moths flying everywhere , all 3 pieces were held together by elastic band , so I assume there was no spare tip.

If there are pins holding ferrules in place that would make things a lot easier I hope , I will check it first thing tomorrow since I am working night shift now.
If there is no pins does that mean that ferrulers are glued or pressed in ?

Why do I want to replace ferrules ? First of all they lost its shine , I tried cleaning them but the chrome color is just not there anymore and since I am going to nicely clean and varnish bamboo cains I might as well restore this rod tip to toe , and make it look like new again .

One more quick question , I would like to replace reel seat as well , the one thats on there now has worn threads on it and is made out of some kind of plastic . How do I go about removing it from the cane?
Thanks
Old 10-13-2010, 11:45 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Vintage bamboo fly rod

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Rip Tide
Horace knew how to enjoy the outdoors
i am a firm believer in his style of living

your advice and tips on refinishing are now saved to favorites
all good
buzz
Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommym View Post

One more quick question , I would like to replace reel seat as well , the one thats on there now has worn threads on it and is made out of some kind of plastic . How do I go about removing it from the cane?
Thanks
The "plastic" is Bakelite. It's probably best to cut it off with a Dremel tool if you'd really like to replace it. (I wouldn't)
If you're careful you can use heat to relax the glue but too much may delaminate the strips.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Ferrules are not easier if they are pinned. Easy is if they were put on using fletch cement. I sent you a privet message, did you read it? Reel seats can be easy compared to pinned ferrules.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 PM

The reel seat was held by 2 pins which were easy to remove after that the set slipped right off .
Ferrules as well are held by 1pin in each .