The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 01:42 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about
Default Starting out?

I have been thinking about doing this for a long time. My question is, for the first rod, are the kits like the rainshaddow or Pacific Bay kits that are fairly inexpensive a good way to start?
Also, are there extra things that I would need? I have nothing to turn them on and I have nothing to dry them on... Is that manditory or can something be improvised untill I am sure it is something I want to do? I have seen the cardboard box turners that people have made... I could try that I guess?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:39 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting out?

By all means start with a kit.
A Lot less to worry about that way.

I don't build a lot of rods like some guys, but when I 'need' a new rod I'll build it myself rather than buy 'factory'
I have an old Herter's rod wrapper and a homemade turner, but I'm just as likely to wrap sitting in an easy chair with the thread spool under my leg. And I almost never use the turner.
Other tools that I use are my tying scissors, an exacto knife, dental floss, masking tape, and a popsicle stick
It doesn't take a lot
With a little patience, anyone that can tie a fly can build a nice rod on the first try
Old 10-16-2008, 08:11 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

I agree with Rip Tide- go for it. I built an 8wt using a pacific Bay kit and I'm glad I did. It turned out pretty well, because I took my time and read up a lot and asked a lot of questions here in the rod builders site. I can't wait to build my next rod and just today was looking through hook and hackle web site at a few specials they are having on blanks. There's great info out there. Here are a couple of links I saved on rod building- enjoy:
A guide to building your first fly rod, by Bob Widgren
FLEX COAT - Rod Wrapping Finish Tips
Rodbuilding.org
Rod Building 101
http://www.flyrodcrafters.com
Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

By the way, I still don't have a turner. I sat there watching a movie or two and turned by hand with the rod sections on a cardboard box. I also stacked a few books on a phone book and passed the thread through the phone book to provide the tension needed.

Good luck and enjoy it. Catching fish on a rod you build is great fun.