The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 AM

arkman is on a distinguished road
Default TFO Professional Series 9 Wt 4 Pcs

My wife got me into rod building because she bought me a gift certificate to Thorn Brothers in Minnesota. I always thought it would be fun to make a custom rod. I started this in March and finished it finally in September. I just got a bit distracted and decided I'd like to practice on some "cheaper" rods. Its been done for a while but I finally got time to shoot some photos.

I still haven't really casted it much but so far I really like it. I LOVE the reel I found for it. Hopefully next weekend I get to give both the rod and reel a work out on some steelhead. Its my first steelhead trip ever so it should be fun.

I hope you enjoy!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 AM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TFO Professional Series 9 Wt 4 Pcs

Congrats!
That's a Beaut!
Thanks for posting!!

Best of luck with it on the water!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Thanks! It turned out nice. I was really nervous when I started but its not that tough to do. I learned a lot from the process and my next rods will be even better...hopefully.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:19 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

Great job!
I thought about trying to build my next rod (also a TFO) but decided that since I'm just trying to learn to fish & tie & may not need to learn to build rods at the same time ;-)
Congrats on yours!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:34 AM

Pennell is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Nice job. You can make the whipping turns tighter by pushing the whipping with your finger nail ,(I use my thumb), every few turns . This illiminates the spaces which can be seen on your whippings.
Hope that helps and again , good job.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the nice comments.

Pennell- I packed the wraps as tight as I could. I don't quite understand what happen. If you could see it close up you'd notice that the threads are packed tight but its like the thread turned transparent with the epoxy. It was super frustrating. I was really hoping that it was a much more solid red even a little bolder than it is.

Its almost like I was using silk thread, even though I wasn't. Any idea why that would be?

Thanks again for the nice comments.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work indeed, congrats! Hopefully, it isn't too late in the season to give that beauty a workout.

Larry
Old 11-11-2010, 12:37 PM

I'm heading out steelhead fishing tomorrow before the season closes. I'm hoping that the fish are so tough on it I have to make use of the TFO warranty.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi arkman,

You did a great job for you first rod, congratulations.

I can see the discoloration you mentioned. I don't know if it will help but did you use a color preserver on the thread before the epoxy? I am sure one of our rod wrappers will be able to help you out.

Frank
Old 11-11-2010, 06:41 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: TFO Professional Series 9 Wt 4 Pcs

arkman:

You can be proud of your first rod. Nice job.

It has been many moons since my rod building days but these comments might still be useful.

Re: As Pennell points out, you can help keep the wraps tight by pushing gently on the bottom of the wrap to move the thread a little closer to those "above" them. I used my thumb nail and tried to keep even pressure all the way around. After the wrap is complete did you burnish it to make the thread even and close the gaps? This helps smooth things out. "Just right", even thread tension as you wrap helps too. Practice will lead to that.
In addition to color preserver, a treated thread that is designed to keep the thread from changing color when applying epoxy can be used, hence no [theoretically at least] color preserver is necessary. Did you use size "A" thread?