The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Larger or smaller....

When I first learned to turn a rod the fella that showed me said that "larger guides make it easier for the line to shoot thrue", recently I was looking through some various sites provided by some of you folks in another thread and seen that one of the rod companies deliberatly uses smaller guides to keep the flyline tracking closer to the rod.

I've been thinking about this and it makes sense to me that a smaller set of guides would allow the line to cast smoother, shoot better, and possibly be more accurate. I realize guides are but a small part of the equation here, but bare with me.

Wouldn't smaller guides allow for less 'Rattle/bounce' of the line going thrue them? allowing the afore mentioned things to happen?

Wouldn't larger guides allow for more 'slop' as the line shoots?

Am I just behind the times?

I'm not meaning the 'Striper guides', just the snake or single foot guides.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Larger or smaller....

Not that I have any experiance makeing rods(yet), I like the smaller eyes better on the rods I own. I have a couple older ones with larger eyes and newer ones with smaller, now I know part of it is the rods themselves, but it does seem to me that the smaller eyed rods cast better. just my thoughts
Bear
Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You would think that smaller guides would 'funnel' the line better and allow for better shooting, but unfortunately that's not the case.
There is a lot of 'slop' and small guides actually 'choke' the line, slowing the shooting speed.
Not tapering the guide size from rear to front helps with this too, but it looks out of place
Another reason for big guides is to help avoid problems with tangles created by hard charging fish. Small tangles may at least travel through larger guides, while the same tangle with small guides would pop the tippet of worse
Big guides may not look as pretty but they're best as long as they don't make the rod tip heavy.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think a small shooting guide (nearest the cork) is going to function as a bottleneck, because you are going to have some rippling and such as the line shoots through.

The most effective guide arrangement for shooting line I've seen was on a rod built up by Allen Crise of Glen Rose, TX. He uses a large shooting guide and then positions a slightly smaller guide somewhere in the range of 5-8" ahead of it. It looks a bit odd, but has a remarkable effect on smoothing out the wiggles in the line. I think it has to do with harmonics or some other part of physics I've forgotten about. I don't know that he's the originator of the idea, but that was the best line shooting 5wt I've ever cast.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:52 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I read the infamous "5wt Shoot Out" done by Yellowstone Anglers, and they liked the smaller guides used on Tom Morgan and Sage Z-Axis rods. I've never
even seen a Tom Morgan rod, but can tell you that if the small guides on a
Z-Axis hold back the line, it would be an amazing sight to see what larger
guides do ! I should note the the stripper guide is quite small on the
5wt Z-Axis.

EDIT: I had a Redington RS3 7wt rod, and ALL of the guides were large. The last 3 snake guides were 3/8" from the blank, and the line
slap caused me to return the rod to Cabela's (eventhough it was $89). It cast fine, but the slap was annoying.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I think a small shooting guide (nearest the cork) is going to function as a bottleneck, because you are going to have some rippling and such as the line shoots through.
I agree.

I have my favorite rod a older Loomis 9', 4wt, 2 pc, that needs to be rewrapped this Winter, I'm thinking that I will go with the smaller snake foot guides.

Another thing I will do with this rod is to 'Static Test' the guides for placement, up to this point I have always trusted that the spacing chart from the manufacturer was the way to go, kinda questioning that now after reading the 'Static Test' thread.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."