The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Guides....

Do you prefer single foot guides to the old standby double Snake foot guides?

And do you use one or two Stripper guides?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-08-2009, 05:08 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Guides....

As far as looks I like the single foot guides, but as far as fishing, casting, and weight I dont think theres that much diffrence, maybe a hair in favore of the single foot.
just the thoughts of a hillbilly
Bear
Old 01-08-2009, 05:28 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I have two 9 foot 8 wt rods, with the same line on them, and they are just about the same except one has snake guides and the other has single foot guides. The line seems to slide much more easily through the snake guides. I personally think that's why it casts much better and farther. But that could just be me.

I have several telescopics that all have single foot guides and I wouldn't give them up for anything, but I sure wish they had snake guides.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:43 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Sorry I couldn't resist this,

A single foot guide would probably fall down alot and I don't know that I would trust a double footed "snake" guide. Two strippers are always better than one, especially if one of them is ugly.

Know that I got my smart A$$ comments out of the way, Most of my rods have double foot guides on them but I have one with single foot guides and
I like it for fishing in cold weather. I don't have any reasoning for it but they tend not to ice up as quickly as the snake guides do on my other rods. As for the stripping guides I have not noticed a huge difference having a second stripper on some of my rods. I have seen a good number of clients who build rods use stripping guides on the entire rod, they tell me that it makes a difference but all I felt on their rods is more weight.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:27 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

All the rods I have built for my shop are single foot, after casting for over 35 years I like them a little better on the newer blanks. Stripping guides depend how long the rod is..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

My St. Croix Avid has single foots, all my other rods have snake guides. I have always had the feeling that the line doesn't shoot through the single foots as well as the snakes. Could just be me.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:46 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I've only built 1 rod with single foot guides & I'm not crazy about the look.... I like carbide snake guides & use them on all the rods I build. I can't really feel the difference in the way they cast. I don't have a problem with line slap. I use snake quides & 2 stripping guides if possible. Sometimes it's a pain to space them on a 4 or 5 pc. blank but if I can I'll put 2 strippers on them..
Old 01-09-2009, 04:57 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

All mine are salt...9wt tcr 16 and 20 strippers(SS framed gold cermat double foot) 6#6 recoil snakes and 2 #5; 10 wt tcr same; 10wt tcx 25, 20, 16( SS framed 25 double foot gold cermet, 20 and 16 single foot titanium gold cermet could not find old inventory SS framed) strippers; 6#6 recoil, 2 #5 recoil snakes;
11 wt and 12 wt(old winston xtr three piece blanks) same as TCX but used all SS framed fuji gold cermet double foot and all recoil snakes nickel/titanium wire
Old 01-21-2009, 09:40 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I will usually have single foot guides with regular stripper guides. The length and weight of the rod I am making will determine size and number of stripper and SF guides. The casting form of the user and type of rod will determine if I install a tamer guide or not.