The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: fiberglass blanks

Bumping this because I'm also interested in this $15 Batson blank to get started with glass. Do y'all know what size line is normally cast with it? I think I could deal with it as a 1 piece rod just fine. (takes tape measure to Forester)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

"Originally Posted by Rip Tide
The spinning rod blank most folks use is the Batson SPG780
they go for somewhere around 12-15 bucks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Bumping this because I'm also interested in this $15 Batson blank to get started with glass. Do y'all know what size line is normally cast with it? I think I could deal with it as a 1 piece rod just fine. (takes tape measure to Forester)
Bump for more info from the GlassGurus

Old 07-10-2009, 10:00 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Cliff, a lot of guys build on them. I think they've nicknamed them Tadpoles.
Check out Batson SPG780 project query - Rod Building & Tackle Tinkering - Active Discussions - fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board - Yuku
Also type in tadpole on search. Load of info.
FWIW, these things just don't interest me that much. Load of people love them. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the snobbery coming out in me. I just can't see a short, spin casting blank being used as a fly rod. If I ever tried one, I'd probably change my mind of coarse.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks man. I was on there earlier and saw something about tadpole and had no idea what it was referring to.

Maybe I could build it up with spin guides and and sliding rings and get an UL spin rod and a 3wt out of it?

Old 03-18-2010, 07:44 AM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

I just picked up an 8' 3-4 weight Steffen Bros blank at Fly Rod Crafters here in Albuquerque for $155, and he has a pretty good selection of their blanks in stock for the prices noted above if Steffen doesn't have what you want immediately available-- and they are on the net.

I have planned to build a fiberglass rod for quite a while, and was going to start with a cheaper blank but discovered that the first rod often turns out a lot better than you expect. I was pleasantly surprised with the 4 wt. Sage VT2 I just finished during a class. Now if I could just figure out how to do a thin accent wrap!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:48 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhclayton View Post
I just picked up an 8' 3-4 weight Steffen Bros blank at Fly Rod Crafters here in Albuquerque for $155, and he has a pretty good selection of their blanks in stock for the prices noted above if Steffen doesn't have what you want immediately available-- and they are on the net.

I have planned to build a fiberglass rod for quite a while, and was going to start with a cheaper blank but discovered that the first rod often turns out a lot better than you expect. I was pleasantly surprised with the 4 wt. Sage VT2 I just finished during a class. Now if I could just figure out how to do a thin accent wrap!
Now for a reel seat for the glass. Glass butt's are a larger diameter than graphite. It's been hard to find a good looking reel seat for fiberglass rods. Until Joel Lemke came along. He used to work for Glen Struble. Now he's on his own. He does build the best looking seats and inserts I've see, and for a good price. He doesn't have a website yet, but his email is lemkeconcepts@q.com
If you have a nice blank like a Steffan Bros you will want a seat by Joel. You won't need to bore it out any larger. Joel's a great guy to talk too also. Tell him what blank you have and what the butt diameter is. He'll work with you too. Ask Auntie Em about Joel's seats and hardware.
Here's one I'm putting on a TXL. It's buckeye burl with black nickle hardware.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:22 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Wow! Go fishing for a few days and find this when I get back!! Mojo has truly filled you in on the glass rods. The man does indeed, know his stuff!! He's also provided you with information on Joel Lemke's reel seats. They are, with out doubt, some of the most beautiful reel seats you will ever find. They just "go" with the glass rods!

Diamondglass has been discontinued. If you find a place that still has some in stock ... ummm .... let me know!!!!! They are very fine blanks!

Lamiglas puts out a fun, fun blank, too! I just finished one for my husband (see the rod building forum; lets build a rod together), and I'm FINALLY working on mine!! (and it will have the Lemke seat on it!!!).

Which ever blank you should choose, you're in for a great experience!
Em

<Mojo ... that buckeye burl is gorgeous!!!!>

<Darn! forgot to mention that I built couple tadpole glass rods for a rod swap ... cut and ferruled they're a fun, fast little rod!!>
Old 04-03-2010, 11:52 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Take a look at Steffen Brothers.
Steffen Brothers Fly Rods