The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   General Info (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/7767-general-info.html)

HookEmHorns 02-06-2009 12:36 PM

General Info

Hey y'all,
I know this is kind of a pain in the ass and has been gone over at some point, but I was wondering what all is needed to actually build your own fly rod. I think that would be the most awesome thing to have is a custom made rod. What kind of tools and processes do you use? Any books would be awesome and any help would be great too. Also, what kind of materials are needed to complete a fly rod? Like a 9ft 2-piece 6 or 7wt rod. Not real sure what action I would want, but probably a fast-medium action... I just think it would be such a great feeling to have someone ask what kind of fly rod I have and be able to say that I made it myself! Thanks for the help!

HookEmHorns

mojo 02-06-2009 05:55 PM

Re: General Info

Quote:

Originally Posted by HookEmHorns (Post 48235)
Hey y'all,
I know this is kind of a pain in the ass and has been gone over at some point, but I was wondering what all is needed to actually build your own fly rod. I think that would be the most awesome thing to have is a custom made rod. What kind of tools and processes do you use? Any books would be awesome and any help would be great too. Also, what kind of materials are needed to complete a fly rod? Like a 9ft 2-piece 6 or 7wt rod. Not real sure what action I would want, but probably a fast-medium action... I just think it would be such a great feeling to have someone ask what kind of fly rod I have and be able to say that I made it myself! Thanks for the help!

HookEmHorns

Internet sources are amazing. Google up fly rod building. I started out just doing one. Then another. Then another. And another. Etc. Etc. Etc.
Custom rod building throws all rules out the window. Plus, you can add you're own little touches to make the rod stand out. My favorite rod is basically a plain Jane. Nothing fancy. Just clean looking.
But you can't get that from a factory rod.
You'll need a-
Blank of your choice,
Reel seat,
Grip,
might want a winding check,
Hook keeper,
Guides of your choice- chrome, black, blued, gold, bronze. Snake guides or single foot, and a matching tip top, 9' rod will take 10 or 11 guides.
Thread- choice of color- choice of thread type- silk or nylon,
Thread finish- spar varnish, thread epoxy (lots of different brands and types out there).
Then comes the building part
But before you do, read, read, read.

Rip Tide 02-06-2009 08:15 PM

The hardest part about building a rod is just getting started
ANYONE THAT CAN TIE A FLY CAN BUILD A ROD
No special gear, no special talent

Personally, I learned enough to get started from Al Campbell's tutorial that I found on the Mudhole site.
"Build Your Own Graphite Rod"
You can find enough information on-line that you can build yourself as good a rod as any factory rod out there....at half the price.:biggrin:

Backcastwards 02-06-2009 10:21 PM

Join this board----> Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource.
Bulletin board catagory ROD BUILDING.
Nuff said.
Gary

FISHN50 02-07-2009 02:14 PM

Go to the Hook & Hackle website. They Have a pretty good blog on rodbuilding along with guide spacing charts etc. You'll find that rod building is a lot easier than you think, You get a tremendous amount of satisfaction when it's completed. Go for it you'll love it.

HookEmHorns 02-22-2009 12:39 PM

Does anybody know any good books that would help walk me through putting together a fly rod before I actually buy all of the stuff? I would like to have a book to help me figure out what equipment and tools that I need to buy so I can get working on one. I found some cheap blanks, just to practice on mainly, so I think that is where I would start.
I saw a guy at a swap meet yesterday that had some custom rods and it just made me want to build one of my own.
Thanks y'all,
HookEmHorns

paulm 02-23-2009 05:25 PM

I have a couple of books by "Dale Clemens" that are excellent. My basic one is "Fiberglass Rod Building". However, mine is old, but he has a newer version out with a up to date copywrite. the second one is "Advanced Rod Building", and this gets into more thread wraps and inlays.

As mentioned before, a number of on line instructions are free and very good.