The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 02:39 PM

rrdstarr is on a distinguished road
Default Changing handle?

Is it possible to remove the smaller handle(cork) for a larger diameter? I have gorilla hands and Red Fly2 5wt rod. Problem is it keeps spinning in my hands. I have a bit of arthritis at age 47. Is it possible to have that done by a competent professional? I know it is a cheap rod but I really like that way it works for me.

I live in Victoria, BC so looking for someone local or within Canada just to avoid the shipping hassles.

Thanks,
-Rick
Old 12-16-2010, 04:50 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Changing handle?

If the rod is a four piece you can sand and cut off the old cork. Then make a new grip and slide down onto the reel seat. The obstilces could be if you have a hook keeper and you may need to take care in not damaging any logos. You will also need to be sure that the new cork has the correct inlet for the reel seat. The hard part of the job is the removal of the old cork grip.
It is not an overlly difficult task to do this. You may aslo look on the Mudd Hole or a tennis supply web site and see if you could get by with a grip wrap.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:26 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

There was a post recently (w/pictures) of someone wrapping his grip with the same tape vets use to wrap limbs. The type of stretch tape that sticks to itself without adhesive. It actually looked pretty good. I searched for it, but couldn't find it. I agree with a wrapped tennis grip. They go over an existing grip. They aren't very expensive.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:37 PM

Thanks guys! I think i will go the easy route and find a self adhesive tape to do the grip!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:27 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

I'm sure the fishing industry has what you need but you could also try a serious bike shop which caters to road racers, etc. Back in the day Cinelli offered cork tape. Newer options available today.

Eric
Fresno, ca
Old 12-16-2010, 11:09 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

you can run down to the drug store for some "Self Adhesive Bandage" with will cost more and only come in flesh color, or you can go to a pet supply store and get more colors and a cheaper price, or go to a farm supply and get it in lots of colors and cheap.

Just an example
Old 12-17-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
you can run down to the drug store for some "Self Adhesive Bandage" with will cost more and only come in flesh color, or you can go to a pet supply store and get more colors and a cheaper price, or go to a farm supply and get it in lots of colors and cheap.

Just an example
I have some of that at work. I am an Aviation Machinist and use that stuff when I am grinding. keeps me from removing too much flesh when deburring parts!

I saw Cork tape on Cabela's but was WAY expensive!

I will probably just try on of these from Cabela's.

Cabela's: Saltwater Foam Tapered Grip
Old 05-24-2011, 12:23 PM

rrarods is on a distinguished road

It isn't actually too dificult to replace a grip on a rod. There are a few ways to do it. If you are still interested in doing so hit me up with a PM and I can explain things further. It isn't all that expensive either if you want to do it in the future. Shoot you could always go with a custom cork made just for you if you are going to bother to have it replaced!

Custom Rods You Can Afford to Fish
www.rollingriveranglers.com
Old 05-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If I was going to use tape, I'd try this stuff out- Welcome to Rescue Tape! Its pure silicone and sticks to itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
I'm sure the fishing industry has what you need but you could also try a serious bike shop which caters to road racers, etc. Back in the day Cinelli offered cork tape. Newer options available today.
Despite lacking the typical build, I ride a road bike frequently. Cinelli still makes their stuff and its fairly popular. If I was going to use handlebar tape, I'd use Fizik's Microtex tape, which is both tough, and provides good grip when wet. Problem with using cycling tape is that you've gotta use electrical tape or something to secure both ends.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

With my heaver weight rods, I tend to squeeze the grip to the point where they crack
One of my 8wts is on it's third grip and another is on it's second.
With my 10wt, I epoxied it back together and then wrapped it with the tape used on baseball bats.
..... I like it better that way