The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 05:24 AM

Flatsfeet is on a distinguished road
Default Baas Rod??????

Howdy,
Here's the bad news, recently broke my cabela's FT 8 wt ( 9 FOOT) 1" from tip (screen Door), SO I'M IN THE MARKET FOR NEW 8WT. What do y'all think about converting this broken rod into a Bass rod. I see some companies now selling 8 footers and such for bass buggin. opinions appreciated.
Thanks
JOe
Old 03-16-2009, 09:12 AM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Baas Rod??????

If you only lost an inch off the tip, I'd be willing to bet you'd never notice a difference. Glue the tiptop back on and try to think of another excuse for a new rod.
If, however, that was a typo and you meant '1 foot', I'd try to salvage the rod but it'll probably cast better with a heavier (try a #9 or #10) line now.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Baas Rod??????

Thanks J Dorsey
appreciate the reply. You are exactly right, i am nowworked up about buying a new rod, but having an extra rod available is a good thing! I am pleased to hear that this may reparable. There is a fairly irregular , jagged break one inch beneath the tip top ( I ALMOST made it through that screen door). Do you think this is simple repair or should I check out local tackle shop for repair? Do you think the exsisting Tip Top can be reused??

Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:36 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatsfeet View Post
Thanks J Dorsey
appreciate the reply. You are exactly right, i am nowworked up about buying a new rod, but having an extra rod available is a good thing! I am pleased to hear that this may reparable. There is a fairly irregular , jagged break one inch beneath the tip top ( I ALMOST made it through that screen door). Do you think this is simple repair or should I check out local tackle shop for repair? Do you think the exsisting Tip Top can be reused??

Thanks again.
If you have a Dremel tool, use a cut off wheel. Wrap some masking tape at the edge of the break, mark it and cut it off. Take it down to your local fly shop and see if they have a tip top to fit. They'll probably put it on for you. The only thing you'll be missing is the wrapping at the tip. It's only decorative there.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 PM

Thanks Man, got the dremel and cut off wheel, should be good to go.
appreciate the help.