The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 07:46 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Chop Sticks

I read a while back that someone was recommending using a knitting needle to apply finish on wraps. Thought I'd like to try that sometime. As I thought about it, I could either buy a knitting needle (bad cause I'm cheap) or steal one from my wife (bad cause I might get caught). Suddenly it struck me, how about try a chop stick. A grabbed a couple disposable chop sticks last time we were at a restaurant.

Got a chance to use one on my 5' 2wt, and boy did it work nice. No mess- no drips or runs, a quick wipe with a paper towel and the chop stick was clean and ready to go again.. Very precise, easy to pick up a drop of finish and apply it to the wrap. Easy to manipulate the finish exactly where you want it.

Give it a shot.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chop Sticks

Good idea
I've got 4 rods in the works right now and my least favorite step is the finish, so I often get to that point and don't..... finish that is.
I'm trying to motivate.... maybe this will do it.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:35 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

That would have been me with the knitting needle! It works well. I'd think the chop stix would be good, IF you could assure that no dust or little pieces of stix would float down in your epoxy.
For the knitting needle, dip the tip into your epoxy, and just float the mix on to the wraps. You don't even need to touch the wraps with the needle. Flows on just absolutely slicker than snot!! And you can place the epoxy exactly where you need it! I still use a "shadow" brush to epoxy the signature area on the blank, to get that thin, thin smooth finish.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Auntie Em,

The knitting needle sound like a good idea. I haven't seem you post for a while. Did I just miss your post?

I like Orange Sticks. They are used in the commutations industry. They are sealed and cheep. One end is round and the other is flat. I am always using these for one thing or the other. Five bucks for 100.

Frank

Orange Sticks
Click the image to open in full size.

Good for positioning components. Non-conductive, soft, pliable orangewood. Made of high quality non-resin wood which will not contaminate solder or component leads. Used as soldering aids, and strong enough to bend component leads and break bridges. 11/64 dia. and 7 long
Old 04-01-2009, 12:27 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Hey, Frank !
Ummm, no, you didn't miss the post on here ... it was posted elsewhere.
One reason I like the knitting needle applicator, is that it can be wiped off and used again, and again. I even use a little spatula from my dentist to mix the expoxys, then wipe it off, for re-use after re-use. I'm into my 9th year on the knitting needle and spatula!
Auntie Em
Old 04-01-2009, 01:29 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I like to use those little bamboo skewers. They're cheap & don't absorb the epoxy. I use them to paint on eyes on streamers also. I also use them for burnishing the thread wraps on streamers but not on rods.......
Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
That would have been me with the knitting needle! It works well. I'd think the chop stix would be good, IF you could assure that no dust or little pieces of stix would float down in your epoxy.
For the knitting needle, dip the tip into your epoxy, and just float the mix on to the wraps. You don't even need to touch the wraps with the needle. Flows on just absolutely slicker than snot!! And you can place the epoxy exactly where you need it! I still use a "shadow" brush to epoxy the signature area on the blank, to get that thin, thin smooth finish.
Some of the disposable chop sticks are pretty crude, but the better ones are well made. They need to be somewhat structural since people do actually think about eating with them. I think the knitting needle is a more elegant solution, but I'm a cheap SOB (swell old buddy) and I like free stuff.

In any case, thanks for having shared the basic idea and concept. It did make the process a whole lot more enjoyable (relatively speaking).

p.s. I was using spar varnish, i could lightly messae the varnish into the wraps with the first coat, then successive coats went on as you suggest, just floating on the varnish. The nice thing was that a slight dip into the varnish picked up just the righ amount to cover a single wrap.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo