The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 AM

Turtle Not is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Antique" Lamiglas Fly Rod Blank, 9½' AFTM 8/9

That's doggone interesting! I had completely forgotten that cane rods have butt-over-tip ferrules, and I have three of them! I can tell you that when I cast the 15 Lamiglas salmon rod (same early G1000 graphite series as my blank) there on Mörrums Åen ("River") in Sweden (I was living in Denmark at the time), I was very impressed, because that rod had power, not at all the traditional English Spey action, though it was a bit heavy. I might also add that when the American double-handed rods from Sage and Loomis made their debut in Europe, they were pretty snappy, tip-action rods that were as unlike the soft Spey rods as a good dryfly rod is unlike a good wetfly rod. They sparked a revolution in double-handed casting, with odd-ball casts like the underhand cast and in general the use of shooting heads, which is something that would have caused an old-school Spey rod aficionado to roll in his grave!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:02 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverphish View Post
This has nothing to do with the rod in question, but I've been building my bamboo rods with a butt over tip bamboo ferrule. They actually are stronger than the tip over butt that I've seen and cast, and feel and respond like a one-piece rod. (Bamboo rods with nickel silver ferrules are generally butt over tip as well... but the metal creates a "dead zone" to me.) The Lamiglass rod may be a relic of the design. Normally they used a "spigot" type attachment to join the sections, is that the case with yours?
There are several bamboo builders that are rethinking the bamboo ferrule configurations these days... and eventually we'll come up with the best method to suit that purpose, too.

best,
Mike
Nice looking cane rods Mike. I think butt over tip in bamboo is quite a bit different than graphite. About coming up with a different configurations on ferrules, what's coming around the corner? How would you improve on a new style ferrule?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:42 PM

Riverphish is on a distinguished road

Hey, mojo...

I've been looking at the Italian maker's "streamline" ferrules and a Swiss maker that uses a "spigot" attachment that allows for a smooth transition from butt to tip. (There's virtually no noticeable transition, except for the seam.)

Beautiful looking rods, but I'm into the building end and I want it to be the most ergonomic on my end as well. If I can offer a bamboo that is BOTH ergonomic in production AND beautiful in design... I'm the better for it. (I think... )

Thanks for the comment about my rods... I devilishly try...

best, Mike

"All things flow into one... and a river runs through it."

www.schflyrods.com
Old 06-21-2009, 07:13 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverphish View Post
Hey, mojo...

I've been looking at the Italian maker's "streamline" ferrules and a Swiss maker that uses a "spigot" attachment that allows for a smooth transition from butt to tip. (There's virtually no noticeable transition, except for the seam.)

Beautiful looking rods, but I'm into the building end and I want it to be the most ergonomic on my end as well. If I can offer a bamboo that is BOTH ergonomic in production AND beautiful in design... I'm the better for it. (I think... )

Thanks for the comment about my rods... I devilishly try...

best, Mike
Sorry for such a late reply. It'd be interesting to see the Swiss "spigot" ferrules and compare them to a super-Z in a side by side casting test. Blindfolded too.