The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 09:10 PM

cwb124 is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking about getting into rod building.

Hey there, I have recently got the itch to get into rod building. However my motive is not to build a bunch of rods, although it may lead to that. No, the end game here is to build myself 2 high quality bamboo rods. Ideally a 5'5" 1 piece 2/3 wt and a 7' 2 pc 4/5 wt.

What I'd really like to know is what is a good number of rods to have under your belt in order to be confident in building a decent bamboo and not mucking up a couple hundred $$$ worth of bamboo blanks.

I'd like to start with some cheapo kits to get my feet wet, and does anyone know if the cheapo kits from Cabelas are any good or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks for any help you can give a complete noob.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Thinking about getting into rod building.

i'm sure the cabelas kits are fine but why don't you patronize and support a smaller business which specializes on rodbuilding material and components. call hook and hackle, gregs custom rods, custom tackle or even mudhole and tell them what you want to do and buy one of their kits or piece something together with their suggestions. i think the batson RX6 blanks are great in that you get good practice, end up with a nice rod in a purdy color and hardly scratch the wallet.

how many rods should you wrap first before tackling bamboo? i have no idea about your abilities. are you thinking of building a bamboo rod from scratch? you have flyfishing experience so you know which end to hold, that's good. any woodworking experience? if you're handy with tools, you could conceivably go straight to bamboo making from a culm (or wrapping an already made blank) with the information available from the internet but if you just wanted some experience in finishing out a rod, do one or two "cheap" graphite rods first. see if you can find someone to watch finish a blank. most finish out graphite rods with thread much coarser than the typical silk used in bamboo so that then opens up new challenges.

i'm rambling... trying to second guess things. sorry.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Thinking about getting into rod building.

CWB,

I don't know that there is a magic number of rods that would provide a good prep course for you. My first rod was pretty darn good so I guess I was ready when I started. If you are concerned about working wood I can tell you that the shape of the blank will be a little different when you are packing the silk windings but the actual work is very similar. I would think that if you do one graphite stick first you will be good to go. I wouldn't wast time wrapping cheap blanks, if your going to do it might as well make a good one.

Hint, I practiced winding snake guides onto dowel rods before doing the rod. It don't get any cheaper than that.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;