The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: 5 min epoxy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
old wives' tale or EXTREMELY anal. i've read of many who use craft popsicle sticks to mix; buy a box at a craft or fabric mega store, pretty cheap and useful for years. i use the white plastic flexcoat stirrers.

after a few minutes of gentle stirring (check directions) pour out onto flattened foil. turn a 4-5 inch square of foil up along the edges to help maintain the goop. you will probably notice countless small bubbles in the finish. like riptide says, gently exhale closely onto the finish and all of the bubbles will quickly disperse/pop.

in application, brushes are offered by flexcoat. some say they notice more air bubbles are introduced with brush application. part of the problem is people use the brush to actually brush. i use those fake plastic credit cards (these days, they're simply plastic coated on one side) cut into slightly different width strips to apply the finish to the wraps. and the technique is to dab the strip (or brush) into the finish and hold it against the thread wrap as the blank is turned. i usually hold it along the bottom.

if you've practiced and turn the blank quickly enough and are precise, each wrap should take a few seconds each, but beginners may take a minute or 2. speed comes with practice. just remember time is the enemy here. the longer you wait (and imagine the time spent for a beginner on a 9 foot blank with double wraps for snake guides) the thicker the finish will become. and the more chance you'll have some interesting but unwanted results. you should complete all wraps within 15 mins. i hit the bigger wraps first (winding check area and strippers), then the ferrule wraps and tip top, then the remaining guides.

eric
fresno, ca.
Good reply Eric.
Wrap finishes I've used. Flex Coat. Ok but I liked
Threadmaster better.
I like light thin coats. Both Flex Coat and Threadmaster come in Lite. Just like Miller and Bud. I don't like the 'football' look of thick wrap finishes.
U40's Permagloss is a air dried very thin and very quick drying "epoxy" for lack of a better word. I like it very much.
Mostly what I use is Ace Spar Varnish. Like Riptide said, very tedious but it looks damn good. No weird **** to go into your lungs like epoxy or Permagloss has.
This is Spar varnish finish
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Damn that looks good Mojo !!
How well does Spar hold up over time?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 06-09-2009, 01:05 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

sweeeeeet mojo. and thanks. looks like you dipped the entire rod for the final finishes, judging from no discernible lines between the wraps and blank itself.

and i like that mildrum stripper. from REC? i'm using one on my first bamboo though i plan to only finish the wraps on that one since the blank is already impregnated and rubbed. i like the flat look of my blank like that. and i have ace spar varnish for that too.

mojo brought up a good point. when i use thread finish i usually apply only two coats of threadmaster lite. the first one is applied thinly, so thin you can see the ridges of the thread, but they are covered. the second one completes it. and i too do not like the heavy football shaped results some do to theirs. you can often do thin coats with the heavy versions of thread finish, it's not always necessary to use lite formulas to get light coats.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi eric and mojo,

I have no experience with using Spar Varnish to finish wraps but I have a great deal of experience with finishing gun stocks using Spar Varnish and other Varnishes. So here are some thoughts about using Varnish as a thread finish.

Back in the 50's Spar Varnish made a very good stock finish but some where along the way they changed the formulas. If you are going to use any type of varnish make sure it is Tung Oil based, not Linseed Oil based. Linseed Oil is not very water resistant and moister may migrate to the wraps over time. Many of the Varnishes will darken when they dry. That is not a problem on some rods but I would be very careful on a bamboo or light color rod if you want to retain the true thread color.

I found McCloskey MAN O WAR SPAR MARINE VARNISH to be very bad about darkening after it dried. I can highly recommend Waterlox as one of the best Tung Oil varnishes out there. It is thin and you can thin it further using Paint Thinner. A mixture of 2 parts of thinner to one part varnish makes a water thin mixture. This mixture may take more than two applications. You need to wait 24 hours between applications for the varnish to completely dry.

Over a period of years I tried most of the varnishes available at your local hardware stores. None were as good as Waterlox. Mojo, I don't know if this has any bearing on what Spar Varnish you use. Just some thoughts I had that may be helpful. You seem to have a system that works very well.

Frank
Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Frank, a lot of cane rod builders use nothing but MOW spar. I think in different parts of the country, they all have their favorite or local spar varnishes.
Spar has been used on rods for over 70 or so years now. Put on right, it'll last just as long as modern epoxy I would think. If you guys want to look at some killer finishes, Dave Lewis uses nothing but spar. This guy is an artist. BTW you should use spar with UV protectant in it. I know guys that experiment and use spray urethane, MOW urethane, Ace Urethane, build up the wraps with water based and finish with UV spar. There are as many finishes as builders. No such thing as the you have to use _________.
glass rods