The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 03:42 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about
Default 5 min epoxy?

Was going to build a 2 wt rod for small Mountain streams (and for the fun of building it). But the one thing that frightens me about doing it myself is the epoxy. I'm really bad with glue and usually end up getting it all over things so this worries me. How is it to work with? How do you use it and what other options are there?
I knew a guy who used nail polish on his wraps instead of epoxy and I thought that sounded easy but am certain it won't look good and probably won't last. It there something that looks good and is easy to work with?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 min epoxy?

Please do not use 5 minute epoxy on the wraps.
Look for epoxy from either Flexcoat or UB-40 (I think that is the other coating). These will work much better. Just relax and take your time when applying it, and try not to add air bubbles when mixing it.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

ok, hold on a second. i see a developing problem here that's all too common with beginners so me, being the enlightend one (in my head at least) at this very moment must step in. "epoxy" is the glue you use to glue parts/components together. the clear stuff you put on the wraps should be referred to as thread finish.

now, i wrap a few rods here and there and read what many experienced rod wrappers write and the general consensus is 5 minute epoxy should not be used except for the tip top. use the longer set-up time epoxy for the main component assembly. now to take it a step further, there's better stuff out there too. u40's rod bond is a two part paste-like gel which does not require precise measuring to work very well. once cured it remains just flexible enough for the mechanics of a fishing rod (it was designed specifically for this use) though it does take several hours to set up (typically overnight). this is a feature since it allows you to adjust position of components unlike 5 min epoxy which has led to many people pulling their hair out because it cured within 5 mins and something was off in alignment. because it's a gel with vaseline like consistency, it will not leak everywhere.

as for nail polish as a thread finish, yes, people use it but the experienced will use it only in a pinch when something goes wrong and a quick fix while on the road is called for. typically the application of thread finish is the toughest part so i would say no, there is nothing that's fool-proof but standard thread finishes if directions are followed PRECISELY work well and things come out better with practice. i use threadmaster lite but started of with flex coat high build and the lite version. i'm sticking with threadmaster. there are at least half a dozen options for finish out there, just find one and stick to it. each requires some use to determine the best method. this is a reason most people suggest wrapping on a low cost blank for their first rods. and be precise with measuring. most thread finishes are two part formulas and require consistency and precision in mixing. but it's not that hard. hell, if I can do it....

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother with the nail polish. It doesn't flex and it won't hold up. You'll be doing it over in a year. Personal experience
My last two rods I used spar varnish. One fiberglass, one cane. Nice but tedious
The easiest way to go is with the two part rod finish. It's not hard to get the proportions right and if you apply it with a popsicle stick you be done with it in minutes. No pain
Old 06-04-2009, 01:21 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry for my lack of info on epoxy and finish.
Your answeres were helpful
Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
if you apply it with a popsicle stick you be done with it in minutes. No pain
Rip Tide,
I had someone tell me in the past not to use any wood products (tooth picks) to mix the 'parts' together or in the application of the finish. Their reasoning was that air from the pores in the wood would be released into the mix. Has this ever been a problem for you?

I never really questioned his reasoning......

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That sounds like an old wives tale to me Fysh. I have used tooth picks to mix flex coat with no ill effects. The only rule for varnish is do not shake it to mix it. That will put bubbles in the varnish that will render it unusable for hours.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-05-2009, 10:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Rip Tide,
I had someone tell me in the past not to use any wood products (tooth picks) to mix the 'parts' together or in the application of the finish. Their reasoning was that air from the pores in the wood would be released into the mix. Has this ever been a problem for you?

I never really questioned his reasoning......
I think that there might actually be less, with the popsicle stick that is
There's no messing around, each wrap takes only a few seconds.

Then I just 'huff' on it to blow any bubbles out, but you'd do that anyways.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
That sounds like an old wives tale to me Fysh. I have used tooth picks to mix flex coat with no ill effects. The only rule for varnish is do not shake it to mix it. That will put bubbles in the varnish that will render it unusable for hours.
Some of them old wives are purty smart ya know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Then I just 'huff' on it to blow any bubbles out, but you'd do that anyways.
I have done that, and also used a BIC lighter occasionally to get any bubbles out of the finish. Lucky not to have torched one yet! lol

Old 06-06-2009, 01:08 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

old wives' tale or EXTREMELY anal. i've read of many who use craft popsicle sticks to mix; buy a box at a craft or fabric mega store, pretty cheap and useful for years. i use the white plastic flexcoat stirrers.

after a few minutes of gentle stirring (check directions) pour out onto flattened foil. turn a 4-5 inch square of foil up along the edges to help maintain the goop. you will probably notice countless small bubbles in the finish. like riptide says, gently exhale closely onto the finish and all of the bubbles will quickly disperse/pop.

in application, brushes are offered by flexcoat. some say they notice more air bubbles are introduced with brush application. part of the problem is people use the brush to actually brush. i use those fake plastic credit cards (these days, they're simply plastic coated on one side) cut into slightly different width strips to apply the finish to the wraps. and the technique is to dab the strip (or brush) into the finish and hold it against the thread wrap as the blank is turned. i usually hold it along the bottom.

if you've practiced and turn the blank quickly enough and are precise, each wrap should take a few seconds each, but beginners may take a minute or 2. speed comes with practice. just remember time is the enemy here. the longer you wait (and imagine the time spent for a beginner on a 9 foot blank with double wraps for snake guides) the thicker the finish will become. and the more chance you'll have some interesting but unwanted results. you should complete all wraps within 15 mins. i hit the bigger wraps first (winding check area and strippers), then the ferrule wraps and tip top, then the remaining guides.

eric
fresno, ca.