The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 08:00 AM

stoneyclove will become famous soon enough
Default Rod Grip

Hi Guys
I had a custom rod made a while ago and I find the grip a bit to uncomfortable for me. I have small hands and the grip is to thick. Is it possible to get it taken down a mil? Would anyone know where I could get it done? It is a full wells grip on a 7wt rod. I am in NY.

I was really excited about this rod when I ordered it, but the grip gauge is to much for me. I have been using another rod while the Z sits in the corner.

Last edited by stoneyclove; 01-30-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default Re: Rod Grip

Who built the rod for you? Maybe he/she could work the grip down a bit to fit better?

If it's just a bit you want taken down, you could do it your self. Take LIGHT, SOFT strokes with a fine sandpaper, working smoothly around the grip. Check the fit OFTEN It's easier to take more off than to add any on!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Auntie...easy to do with sandpaper...take your time+ your butt will look like new
Old 02-01-2011, 05:45 AM

stoneyclove will become famous soon enough

Guys thanks for your comments.

I had considered sending it back to the guy who made it but it took so long for him to send it out ( 3 months) in not going there.

I decided to take your advice and work on it myself with sand paper. Wow! I can't believe how nice it came out. It's perfect. It's nicer now than it was originally. Many Thanks.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Yaaaayyyyyy, You!! Glad to hear it went well!! Magic in slow and steady! And, less is always more!
Enjoy that "new" grip!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

stoneyclove: Good to hear you have that grip fine tuned to fit perfectly in your hand, congrats!

Larry

Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

We had told you it was easy and...the grip would come like new
Good to hear you managed to get the grip you wanted
Old 03-03-2011, 04:07 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Would y'all recommend putting cork sealer on the newly sanded grip? I've used it on the few grips I've made for rods I've built, but don't know if it's generally advised or what.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:13 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Would y'all recommend putting cork sealer on the newly sanded grip? I've used it on the few grips I've made for rods I've built, but don't know if it's generally advised or what.
Put it on if you want to. It won't hurt anything. On some of my grips I put Tru Oil. Some I leave alone. personal preference.