The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 AM

craigmax is on a distinguished road
Default spey rod

has anyone built or used a rainshadoww spey rod I looking to build one and looking for a little dynamic info before I step up and purchase one . they also sell a forecast in the the same size anyone with info help thanx Craig
Old 06-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: spey rod

I've looked into the same thing for a switch rod and found mostly rosy reviews for the Rainshadow blanks. Can't recall where exactly I found them, just typical google-scouring.

One note, I'd go lighter than you'd think for whatever rod you get. A "5wt spey" throws about the same weight line as a single-handed 10wt, and thus the line is going to hit the water with equal commotion. roughfisher.com: Assault with a deadly weapon

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm almost certain that the guy who designed the Batson blank is Bon Meiser. This post may be a little late. but if you haven't got it yet, it might be worth the time to call Meiser rods. He is a wealth of information and a really nice guy. He's also the Yoda of spey design. He is also the inventor of the switch rod. I built one of his 15' 8/9 wt. Clearwater rods. I love it a lot. He was a great help.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'm almost certain that the guy who designed the Batson blank is Bon Meiser. .
That is Bob Meiser not Bon. Way to type huh?