The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Cabelas TQR 5wt 7'6" (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/10084-cabelas-tqr-5wt-76-a.html)

jimw 06-20-2009 08:10 AM

Cabelas TQR 5wt 7'6"

I find myself fishing small tidal creeks in the summer time to get away from the beach crowds. Most of these creeks are 30' to 50' wide with alot of overhanging trees. I fish mostly from a kayak when up in the creeks. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a short rod? Distance is not needed. I already have a Sage FLI 8'6" 5wt (that is a joy to cast) but in certain area i feel a short rod would be much easier to use and other times the 8'6" works just fine. I am catching mostly gills, crappie, small bass, and every now and then a bass up to 4 pounds. I want to stay with a 5 wt so i can use the same reel and line. Has anyone ever cast this rod before? Or have any feed back on other short rods? i don't want to break the bank, but dont want a piece of junk either.
Thanks
Jim

EastTexas 10-21-2009 08:58 PM

Re: Cabelas TQR 5wt 7'6"

I kayak flyfish lakes ;)

I have a 8' 6wt. & 9' 5wt. I like the 6 a little better.

I got cast a 6' or 6.5' flyrod in Tyler, Tx. at a meeting - FUN! It was built on a spinning rod blank.

Try this like to see if you would like a short rod try a 6', 6.5' or 7' spinning rod. It will cast better than you think in the back yard.

troutbum17 10-21-2009 10:11 PM

I have the TQR in a 5wt 6' Its pretty easy to cast, dont expect to get more than 70 feet of line out though. good action for a shorter rod I reccomend it
tom
if you have any other questions pm me

ksbrowntrout2 10-23-2009 09:01 PM

Ive had nothing but trouble with my TQR's, they've broken three times, and I treat my gear gingerly. But, since Cabelas has the greatest return policy of all time, I wouldn't hesitate to get one. They fish wonderfully.

sideshow 12-30-2009 05:51 PM

I would like to hear more about your experience with the TQR ksbrowntrout2. Where are they breaking at.. has it all been the same spot? If you would please send me a private message I will respond back via email to discuss what you feel the problem is on the rod.

webrx 12-30-2009 07:36 PM

OOOPs the rod info I posted was for a sold out rod - sorry

But Sierra Trading post is having a blow out sale right now and there are some decent rods, lines, etc on sale in case anyone is looking for an after Christmas present....

d

jimw 12-30-2009 09:52 PM

I have had mine for over 5 months and this is a very nice rod for the money. It is made for tight quarters and works well for the short game. I have a 5wt wff rio grand line on it and the rod loads easily and cast nice. I have not had any problems with it and would reccomend it to others.

webrx 12-31-2009 09:12 AM

My short rod is a 3 wt WW Griggs 6 ft 2 piece I picked up for like $50.00 I like it, it works and it didn't cost too much. I havent done a lot of small stream fishing, but I do a little so I didn't want to go top dollar on a short rod. This one works good, casts decent, and it did not break the bank. BTW, I own a cabelas rod and reel combo, the wind river 4 piece 5 wt, I carry it now as a travel rod and it works pretty good, not sure if they have it in a short version or not, but with a rod, LA reel, line, etc for <$100 bucks, it gets the job done.

d