The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 PM

brianjen13 is on a distinguished road
Default Rod ID help Please

I have been lurking around here for a little bit, thought I would try my first post. I picked up this rod the other day. I can't for the life of me, figuire out what rod this is. All I can make out is three letters and then GRAPHITE. Here are some pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know the rod feels like a 5wt with a medium fast action. Here are some pics:
Thanks, Brian

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod ID help Please

UFO Unidentified Flyfishing Object
Sorry not to be able to help you...hope you liked my joke
Old 06-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Brian: Welcome to the forum! I think it will be pretty hard to identify that rod without somemore identifing marks.

JP: Good one! LOL!

Larry
Old 06-21-2009, 10:32 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

That is a St. Croix Pro Graphite. They were made in the USA, from SCII
graphite scrim. My first nice fly rod was a St. Croix Pro Graphite .

P.S. The Pro Graphite sold for around $90 when they were last offered in roughly
the year 2000. They perfrom well, and I still have one: 7'6" 4wt. I replaced the
cork grip and reel seat however, as I always thought they were too large. It's
a very nice casting rod, and as some people are swinging back to moderate action
rods, that may work nicely for you.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Old 06-21-2009, 11:11 AM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
That is a St. Croix Pro Graphite. They were made in the USA, from SCII
graphite scrim. My first nice fly rod was a St. Croix Pro Graphite .

P.S. The Pro Graphite sold for around $90 when they were last offered in roughly
the year 2000. They perfrom well, and I still have one: 7'6" 4wt. I replaced the
cork grip and reel seat however, as I always thought they were too large. It's
a very nice casting rod, and as some people are swinging back to moderate action
rods, that may work nicely for you.
I would have to second that rod being a St croix pro graphite. Frank beat me to the punch...LOL...Good eye frank I had a 5wt and for the money it casted nice.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:02 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yo! It seems you can still buy tips for the Pro Graphite: Pro Graphite Fly Rod Replacement Tip Section
$30 shipped is tough to beat. In the case of the scraped up rod, you may have to examine it more closely to find the numbers need, or send it to
St. Croix.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM

brianjen13 is on a distinguished road

hanks guys for the replys! This forum is awesomse! For those of you that had this rod, is there a line that works well or ones to stay away from?
THanks, Brian
Old 06-22-2009, 12:12 PM

I had Pro Graphites in 4, 5, and 6 wt configurations. The 5 and 6 would throw
any line, and both would cast one line up or down. The only PG I have now
is a 7'6" 4wt, but it'll toss a 5wt line as well. They are not finicky rods at all.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I would agree that most any 5wt line should work just fine. No need for a extra heavy one like a GPX or Rio Grand.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.