The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 04:21 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Cabela's CGR Fiberglass rod

I picked up the much hyped about Cabela's CGR today; their budget friendly fiberglass rod new for 2011. I've been not-so-patiently waiting for these since I first heard about them last fall.

I grabbed the 4/5wt and was able to give it a test drive today.

The Pro's:
Casting-wise, this thing is friggin sweet. Once I got back into the rhythm of casting with a glass rod, my casting felt easier. Less effort and a little more distance.

Accurate. I was able to pick a spot with it and cast to it, even on some pretty long casts. No I wasn't hitting any teacups, but that is more my defunt casting stroke than the rod.

Con's:
The reel seat is 100% cork on the 4/5. The only one that they had with an aluminum reel seat was the 7/8(which also had a fighting but.) This is only a preference thing, but my preference would have been to pay the extra $5 for the aluminum and get a screw in reel seat.

My Martin 5wt didn't want to fit into the reel seat. I was able to get my Medalist and Allen into it, barely, but I had to use a few swipes of sandpaper to get a better fit.

The buckle on the strap for the rod tube broke. I went to adjust it to sling it over my shoulder and it just popped in my hand.

And lastly, but most importantly, the rod sections do not fit together properly. I thought that they might only be a bit snug, but no amount of twisting, grunting or swearing would get the pieces of the rod to fit together.

Click the image to open in full size.

My final thoughts? I got a dud. I picked on off of the rack that looked fine, but they gave me one from the warehouse. I'm taking it back to get another one that will hopefully fit together, at least. ( I know, I'm being anal....)

Other than that this rod was probably one of the best rods that I have cast in this price point. And this is probably the first time that I had a QA issue with anything from Cabela's, so again I'm voting on I got a lemon.

Now if my next rod falls apart......
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 02-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cabela's CGR Fiberglass rod

That's the way that spigot ferrules are suppose to fit
It makes allowances for future wear
You're going to love fishing glass. It's much more 'relaxed'.
Just as fly fishing was meant to be.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Riptide's absolutly correct on the spiggot ferrules. Don't try to force them.
There's a lot of talk about these rods on Fiberglass Fly Rodders. Loved and hated. But what do you expect for a Benjamin? This ain't a Scott, Steffan or McFarland. But you should enjoy it. Just remember it's not graphite, so slow your stroke down, and try it with different lines.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:01 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
That's the way that spigot ferrules are suppose to fit
It makes allowances for future wear
You're going to love fishing glass. It's much more 'relaxed'.
Just as fly fishing was meant to be.
It's supposed to look like that? That's the first rod I've bought that's been like that. Then you just saved me an hour drive and the pleasure of looking like an idiot; thank you.

I have a couple older glass rods; but there all in the 7', 7-8 range. I thought a glass one in the 4-5 would be a pretty neat set-up.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 PM

rmorrison is on a distinguished road

I'd be sure to give the inside of the female ferrule a good look and make sure you didn't damage it.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

While its partially cork, the 5/6 has a screw seat. I'll probably have one before too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Riptide's absolutly correct on the spiggot ferrules. Don't try to force them.
What's the minimum needed overlap on spigot ferrules?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I just saw these rods last week. My buddy runs the Cabela's fly shop here in Phoenix and was bending my ear for quite awhile about these rods. He told me they are made for Cabela's by Winston, the ferrules are supposed to be like that. He also told me that these rods should present dries better than anything else in my current arsenal. After reading your report, I think I'm going to have to test cast one of these things. And maybe re-assess my finances . . . again (it's not even March and I'm already getting the stink eye from you know who).
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 AM

rmorrison is on a distinguished road

As far as a minimum overlap-you can't really define a minimum. On a spigot Ferrule it should be a good snug fit that keeps the rod together but that leaves a gap of half an inch give or take a little. When you fit the pieces together use the same amount of force you use when putting a graphite rod together. And to pull the sections apart should be about the same as pulling a graphite rod apart. When youve fished a spigot ferrule for years and the gap gets narrower-a quarter inch or less, it's time for a refurb on it.

As far picking up a new glass rod - be sure you so give it a test drive. Glass action is like nothing else. It can be a pure joy to fish, but not everyone has a stroke that can be tuned to fish glass effectively.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorrison View Post
As far as a minimum overlap-you can't really define a minimum.
To clarify, I'm not referring to the gap, I'm referring to the overlap between the spigot and next rod section.

Functionally, there has to be a minimum overlap to prevent breakage.

What I'm getting at is determining when the rod should just go back to Cabelas before even fishing it. For me, if there was only a half inch overlap, I'd be taking it back before fishing it. That just can't be enough.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When youve fished a spigot ferrule for years and the gap gets narrower-a quarter inch or less, it's time for a refurb on it.
I have a 37 year old Lamiglass with a spigot ferrule that wore back many years ago. There was a time when I would snug it up by sticking a blade of grass in the ferrule, but I've since learned that a coating of bee's wax works much better and is all that's needed.

Edit..... I don't count so good
I got that Lamiglass rod 39 years ago next week
Quote:
As far picking up a new glass rod - be sure you so give it a test drive. Glass action is like nothing else. It can be a pure joy to fish, but not everyone has a stroke that can be tuned to fish glass effectively.
In my opinion, anyone can adjust their stroke to use any action rod with only a little practice.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 02-08-2011 at 11:05 AM.