The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 09:28 PM

dbecker is on a distinguished road
Default purchase a used/good fly rod

I am wondering where I can find a good used fly rod that is for sale. It seems like Ebay is the only place but there should be other places I would think. Then again maybe not. Any advise?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: purchase a used/good fly rod

Becker,

Check the classifieds here and at your local fly shops for trade ins. You may also contact any Orvis shops that do guiding or teach fly casting for demo rods. Where are you located?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-25-2009, 10:01 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

dbecker,

While I don't have any personal experience with them, you might take a look at TradenStuff [http://www.tradenstuff.com/GearList.htm]. They have a pretty lengthy listing of used rods as well as a lot of other used fly-fishing equipment. I don't know what sort of warranty - if any - comes with their gear, but their prices to me seem high enough (compared to eBay) that I would think it would include some sort of warranty or at least time-limited "money-back" guarantee.

Would be interested in any experiences other Forum members have had with them.

Neil
Old 06-25-2009, 11:07 PM

halo7b is on a distinguished road

craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums

search local so you can try (or at least handle) before you buy
Old 06-26-2009, 01:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Sierra Trading Post's website. It's banner shows up on the forum header from time to time. STP buys closeouts and passes the savings to the consumers.

From time to time, local fly shops take advantage of closeout deals or has discontinued product or guide and staff gear on sale. You may find something that works for you.

MP
Old 06-26-2009, 04:54 AM
DaveP63 is on a distinguished road

I've gotten all my "new" used rods from classifieds on fly fishing web sites!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:07 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Home - New & Used Fly Fishing Rods and Reels - www.tradenstuff.com
Old 06-26-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Becker,

Check the classifieds here and at your local fly shops for trade ins. You may also contact any Orvis shops that do guiding or teach fly casting for demo rods. Where are you located?

Ard
Thanks Ard. I will do that. I appreciate the advise.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
dbecker,

While I don't have any personal experience with them, you might take a look at TradenStuff [http://www.tradenstuff.com/GearList.htm]. They have a pretty lengthy listing of used rods as well as a lot of other used fly-fishing equipment. I don't know what sort of warranty - if any - comes with their gear, but their prices to me seem high enough (compared to eBay) that I would think it would include some sort of warranty or at least time-limited "money-back" guarantee.

Would be interested in any experiences other Forum members have had with them.

Neil
Thanks Neil for the advise. I will check it out. I appreciate it!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo7b View Post
craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums

search local so you can try (or at least handle) before you buy
Thanks for the advise. I appreciate it!